COME AND GET IT!

Skills USA hosts a spaghetti dinner to raise money for state.

More stories from Ashley Dunkerly

Ashley Dunkerly

The Skills USA dinner will be on Tuesday March 19. The fundraiser will be from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

Spaghetti and meatballs. A fresh tossed salad. Maybe even some cupcakes.

SkillsUSA is hosting a fundraiser spaghetti dinner accompanied by a silent auction Tuesday, March 19, 5:30 -7 p.m. in the PHS Commons.

The event will help raise money for the annual State Skills USA conference, which will be April 15-17 in Casper.

“ …  the meal is our last money maker,” SkillsUSA co-sponsor Mrs. Denise Laursen said. “We have to pay entry fees, pay for hotel and meals. The school district does give us a small amount of money, which we are very thankful for, but we have to earn about $3,000 for the conference every year.  So we hope to earn about $1,000 at this meal.

“We will then have enough money for state. We have a great time, and the culinary arts class gets to practice the skills they have learned in class.”

SkillsUSA students have been working concessions trying to come up with the money in order to cover state expenses. The students can compete in anything from constructing a birdhouse to baking a cake.

“State conference is where students get to compete in different areas to demonstrate skills they have learned in their CTE classes,” Mrs. Laursen said. “We have students competing in child development, culinary arts, baking, restaurant management, wood working, technical drafting, first aid and CPR, job interview, speech, photography, customer service, and others events.

“The conference is Monday through Wednesday, with awards given out on Wednesday. Students learn some of the skills in class, with additional time after school. We work on additional skills that they will need for the contest.”

The students prepare every day in their CTE classes and after-school clubs.

“Students build skills in our CTE (career and technical education) classrooms during the school day. Also, there is time after or even possibly before school students can work on preparing for their competition,” said Mr.Ursuy. “Keep in mind, not everyone who is a member is required to compete at state.”

State conference is a chance for students to learn and show skills.

“State is an amazing way to demonstrate what technical skills they have learned, plus learn about skills they need to work on,” Mrs. Laursen said. “The best part is meeting new friends from all over the state. Even if a student comes in last, and they have worked hard, we are very proud of them.

“The contests are hard, but the reward is great. Many employer like to see student demonstrate their knowledge and leadership skills, and SkillsUSA is just one way of doing this.”

The best part is meeting new friends from all over the state. Even if a student comes in last, and they have worked hard, we are very proud of them.

— Mrs. Larson

The silent auction will have a variety of different items. Although silent auctions aren’t for everyone, there will be something for everybody.

“Right now I know there is a nice Buck knife that our SkillsUSA club is donating to the silent auction,” SkillsUSA co-sponsor Mr. Michael Ursuy said.

Added Mrs. Laursen: “We are still getting items for the auction.  We have some jewelry, honey basket, table runners, a baby blanket, a nice knife, cookies, with other items coming in. It will be fun to see what we get. There is usually last minute items that show up.”

The items sold at the silent auction are not the only wares everyone can enjoy.

“The meal is amazing,” Mrs. Laursen said. “The Culinary Arts students do a wonderful job of making the meal. We will have salad with homemade dressing, homemade spaghetti sauce that the students make, bread sticks, and amazing cupcakes. We will have to go containers for those that need or want to take the food home and enjoy at home.

“SkillsUSA members and family members help serve the meal. We have a great time, one of my favorite activities (plus I have a nice meal in the end).”