STUDENT OF THE MONTH: Maggie Cappiello

PHS junior excels at academics, culinary arts, perseverance

Vin Cappiello

Junior Maggie Cappiello stands on the first-place podium after winning the Commercial Baking event at the 2019 Wyoming SkillsUSA state competition in Casper.

The Student of The Month award at the Powell High School is one of the honorable rewards granted to righteous juniors and seniors. Although juniors can be nominated, more often than not a senior is chosen over a junior.

But for September, this was not the case. 

Junior Maggie Cappiello was awarded Student of The Month, an award voted on by PHS faculty. Cappiello excels in academics, community service and school involvement.  

“Maggie always has a positive attitude,” culinary arts teacher and SkillsUSA coach Mrs. Denise Laursen said. “She always has a smile on her face.” 

Cappiello is the vice president of this SkillsUSA chapter and participates in National Honor Society and jazz band (piano).

“I do a lot of community service for NHS and SkillsUSA,” Cappiello said. “As vice president, I do my best to make our advisers’ jobs easier by helping our president run meetings and come up with ideas for our group.”

On top of actively engaging in these activities, she has a 4.0 while taking accelerated and college classes and she plays the electric bass in a rock band. But cooking is her passion.

“My favorite class is definitely culinary arts,” Cappiello said. “… I also like the chemistry class I take at the college.” 

Despite the stress all of these responsibilities can bring, Cappiello stays positive and even inspires her teachers with her great personality.

— Lauren DeWitz

“It feels really awesome to be chosen as Student of The Month,” Cappiello said. “I’m

Kaitlyn Church
Junior Maggie Cappiello adjusts her final presentation for the event commercial baking at the 2019 SkillsUSA National Convention in Louisville, KY.

truly honored.”

Mrs. Laursen said this honor is well-deserved. 

“She makes me a better teacher,” Mrs. Larsen said. “ … She will ask that next question like it makes me think a little bit more about what it is that we’re doing – she does, by far, make me a better teacher.” 

Cappiello, as mentioned above, contributes to the community positively as well. She does community service with her activity groups and was employed at Big Horn Paint and 307 Pizza last summer.

“The advice I have is to be perseverant, even when things are tough,” Cappiello said. “It’s important to stay involved and work hard to reach personal goals, and also, don’t be afraid to ask for help on those days you might need an extra push.”