Blast from the PHS past

There once was a Boys Potato Club

Isabella Wambeke

This sign, which now sits in the Homesteader Museum, for many years greeted students as they entered PHS.

Isabella Wambeke, Hailee Paul and Devon Curtis, Prowl reporters

Back in 1908, Powell, Wyo., opened the doors to their first school and had a total of 36 students. In 1915 Powell’s first high school was established.

This is the home of the Panthers.

Paging through old PHS yearbooks, one dating back to 1918, reveals there were many good times to be had at PHS. Jeanie and Ernie Paul, 1961 graduates, remember many of the “shenanigans” pulled, one of which was carrying a small car up the stairs and driving it down through the school.

“After the [Homecoming] game they would … ‘drag main,’ Jeanie Paul said. “They’d go up and down main, they’d go all the way to main and then they’d go on the highway….. By the old A&W [Napa]…..down main street all the way to the A&W and turn around and come back and go back up through main street.

“Well … young kids were doing that and so one would roll down their window and yell some stupid thing then they’d say we’ll work this out at the city park”

Powell High School sports have flourished through the years. In 1918 when the first yearbook was published, the school only had one sport: basketball. Since then PHS has added a variety of different sports, including: Football, wrestling, swimming, track (indoor and outdoor), volleyball, soccer, tennis, golf, cheerleading, dance and cross country.

Science teacher and head track coach Mr. Scott Smith brought indoor track to PHS about 11 years ago Mr. Smith has been teaching for 26 years and coaching for 35 years.

PHS is also known for its wide range of clubs. As of 2017 PHS offers: speech and debate, National Honor Society, Skills USA, Student Council, Robotics, Future Farmers of America, drama, jazz band, art guild, chorus, Erocne, publications and journalism.

Some popular clubs of old, which have since been discontinued, include: Canning Club, Boys Potato Club, Twirlers, Powwow (newspaper), Future Business Leaders of America and Future Homemakers of America.

After over 100 years of comings and goings, things haven’t varied all that much.

“Overall I guess a lot of the things are still the same just a different, different way to get there,” math teacher and coach Mr. Troy Hildebrand said.

Clubs have come and gone and sports have stayed and grown into bigger activities. The students have changed, but Powell still loves the home of the Panthers.