WARNING: THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS NICOTINE

Park County School District #1 has decided to install vape sensors in PHS bathrooms

Sophia Petrie

More stories from Sophia Petrie

Sophia Petrie

After many students were caught vaping in the bathrooms, these vaping-sensors were installed specifically to detect smoke from e-cigarettes.

As of January 2022, vape-detectors have been installed in the highschool bathrooms. Since the machines have recently become operational, those who have been caught by them will not face any consequences until the school is made aware of the new vape-sensors. 

The school district ultimately made the decision to install these vape-detectors in the high school as well as in the middle school. With the usage of vapes on the rise, more schools are taking action.

I do hope that these sensors will help deter students from vaping, mostly from a health perspective. I don’t think we truly know the long term effects/risks of vaping that well and I want our students to take care of themselves and their health

— Mr. Troy Hildebrand

“Because our goal is prevention, we wanted to make sure we had communicated with students and families before using the sensors for disciplinary action,” PHS Principal Mr. Tim Wormald said. “So far, no students have received consequences for vape-use detected by the sensors.” 

By the end of the second week of February, information regarding the new vaping-detectors will be sent out to parents of PHS students. Moving forward, any student in possession of an e-cigarette will be subjected to punishments outlined in the school Student Handbook (pg. 30-31). 

“We accessed funds from the SAMHSA grant to purchase the sensors,” Mr. Wormald said, referring to a service administration focused on preventing substance abuse, including e-cigarettes. As of 2021 nationwide, 11.3% of high school students who took the annual survey report to have been vaping. With the increasing usage of e-cigarettes, the side-effects followed suit. 

“Nicotine is a toxic substance,” Director of Clinical Research Dr. Michael Blaha said. “It raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack.”

While the substance hasn’t been present long enough to determine its long-term effects, doctors are still picking up the immediate ones. Those who vape tend to have shortness of breath, headaches, weight loss and more. 

“I do hope that these sensors will help deter students from vaping, mostly from a health perspective,” math teacher Mr. Troy Hildebrand said. “I don’t think we truly know the long term effects/risks of vaping that well and I want our students to take care of themselves and their health.”