BESTIES FOR THE RESTIES

PHS students reflect on their longest friendships.

Shelbey Zickefoose leads her childhood best friend, Emma Sapp, on her horse.
Shelbey Zickefoose

While our teen years are an important time of development and change, some things remain constant. Several PHS students have experienced this consistency in their long-standing friendships.

Sometimes the courage and shamelessness that accompanies being a kid is a valuable social skill that can cement a budding friendship early on. Not everyone was a social butterfly as a kid, but the simple question, ‘Do you wanna play with me?’ was seen as a normality.

“I was sitting in my little chair all by myself because I had no friends in kindergarten,” sophomore Shelby Zickefoose said. “This girl [sophomore Emma Sapp] came up to me and was like, ‘Do you wanna be my friend?’ I felt obligated to have friends, so I said ‘sure’, but soon I found out that I actually did like her.”

Even though students spend most of their elementary years surrounded by the same classmates, interests and personalities can change. As kids interact with different people, they often form new friendships. 

“My best friend moved to Texas in third grade, so I was all lonely,” junior Alexa Richardson said. “I was sitting on the buddy bench, and then [junior Saige Kidd] came up to me and asked if I wanted to play with her. And then it just kind of became a ritual to play together every recess.”

Richardson and Kidd have remained friends ever since. Participating in basketball and volleyball together is one thing that has helped them remain close. Similar hobbies and passions play an important role in forming an initial and enduring connection. 

“Me and [senior Cade Queen] have been friends since probably second grade when I moved here,” senior Keegan Hicswa. “Both of our parents went to the same college, so that kind of created a little bit of a connection for us to get started off. And then we just bonded from there over the outdoors and sports.”

As students attempt to balance academics, sports, and extracurriculars, friendships and social events can be pushed aside. While they may only spend time together periodically, friends can still connect in meaningful ways. 

“We enjoy just being in school together, texting each other, and stuff like that,” senior Cade Queen said. “It’s the little things that make you know that someone’s there for you.”

We enjoy just being in school together, texting each other, and stuff like that. It’s the little things that make you know that someone’s there for you.”

— Senior Cade Queen

Friendships are an integral part of life, regardless of grade or age. Friendships built at a young age can be very fulfilling, especially if they are maintained throughout the rest of our lives.  

“My life would definitely be different without Emma. She keeps me entertained,” Zickefoose said “Our friendship will probably last for quite some time.”