LOCALS TAKE THE LEADERBOARD

Panther athletes recap the Powell L.A. Kohnke Invitational.
The girls for the 4x800m pose with their batons before the relay starts.
Tracy McArthur

On Saturday, April 13, Powell High School had its yearly home invitational for its track team. The meet comprised of 12 different teams who brought fierce competition, broken records, and new learning opportunities set with higher goals.

The tournament was originally named after Mr. Louie Kohnke himsel, a successful athlete and coach who led multiple state titles in Powell. Many of the PHS athletes prepared well for their events knowing they had to keep their top status for their hometown and the legacy.

“I made sure to eat a good dinner the night before and get good sleep,” freshman Brady Harvey said. “Then I was ready to wake up and head over for the track meet.”

Even with all the preparation, it truly came down to competition as well. A couple of specific athletes had eyes on who their biggest competitor was and made it their goal for the day to match or beat the enemy, but for most of the Powell competitors, their targets lay elsewhere.

“My goal was to do better in the triple jump than I did in Worland,” freshman Cambree Dicks said. “I trained by working extra hard at the practices to strengthen my technique needed to achieve the distance.”

Thanks to each athlete’s set plans, many were able to gain new PRs and even some new school records. Junior Kinley Cooley was able to reach her goal of the season when she broke the 1600m record by .02 seconds.

“I expected to break it kinda this year,” Cooley said. “That was my goal for the season, but I just didn’t know what meet it was gonna happen. It either happens or it doesn’t. You’re gonna run fast or you don’t.”

The Powell meet was only the second of the season for the team, but you wouldn’t have guessed it by the outcome. Many placed in the top eight of their event, which led to the girls winning 1st and the boys placing second for the total of the competition. Some may even argue it was a home advantage.

“Having a home meet is always nice because you are performing where you are comfortable,” senior Katie O’Brien said. “I wouldn’t necessarily say that we had an advantage only because it takes one throw to win, and anyone can throw that throw.”

Having a home meet is always nice because you are performing where you are comfortable. I wouldn’t necessarily say that we had an advantage only because it takes one throw to win, and anyone can throw that throw.”

— senior Katie O'Brien

With the next meet underway for the track stars, many are creating new goals and starting to work towards them. Even for those taking first place, it only gives them more reason to keep earning their spot. While those under them, plan to strive for personal growth.

“I want to clear 5 ’10” in high jump and PR in the 400,” sophomore Landon Hyde said. “In high jump, I just need to work on getting hips up and clearing the bar better.”

O’Brien has similar goals.

“My goal is to continue to improve each week and eventually throw over 40 feet in the shot put,” O’Brien said. “My goal in disc is to get up in the 120s and hopefully be able to compete at state.”