EARNING AND LEARNING: BALANCING SCHOOL AND WORK

Powell Aquatic Center is a popular and good location for teenagers to have their first job.
Alyssa Godsey

High school is about the time teenagers begin their search for a job, but having a job while going to school can have both benefits and drawbacks. It is important that students carefully consider the potential effects of work on their academic performance, social life, and general well-being.

Finding a balance between work and school is important for academic success and preparation for future career opportunities. Making sure you prioritize the right things is a large step in the right direction. 

“I work at Subway,” senior Kaden Woods said. “It helps me build up a lot of confidence, dealing with tons of people a day, and it helps out in general with my memorization, trying to remember sandwiches. It’s a really friendly environment which keeps the general morale up. Customers are typically pretty nice, they understand that it’s a very stressful job and that we’re dealing with a lot of noise, or at least most people do.”

I work at Subway. It helps me build up a lot of confidence, dealing with tons of people a day, and it helps out in general with my memorization, trying to remember sandwiches. It’s a really friendly environment which keeps the general morale up. Customers are typically pretty nice, they understand that it’s a very stressful job and that we’re dealing with a lot of noise, or at least most people do.”

— senior Kaden Woods

There are many advantages to having a job. One such advantage of working while studying is the opportunity to gain practical work experience. This can help students develop valuable skills that will be useful in their future careers. In addition, work can provide a source of income for students. 

“It can usually affect the amount of energy I have in the morning and I tend to go home pretty sore because it’s a lot of back and forth and it’s a lot of loud noises,” Wood said. “My work-to-school balance isn’t that good, I’m able to maintain A’s and B’s but it’s never guaranteed what time I’m getting home.”

On the other hand, working while in school can be difficult and time-consuming. This can affect the student’s academic success and overall sense of well-being. Balancing work and academic responsibilities can be difficult and students can become overwhelmed and stressed. 

“I work at Powell Aquatic Center as a lifeguard,” sophomore Brooke Brown said. “It really depends on what I’m doing, but I have enough time to get my homework done. The thing is it’s so loud in the pool that I don’t do my homework and I usually don’t get off work till late.”

I work at Powell Aquatic Center as a lifeguard. It really depends on what I’m doing, but I have enough time to get my homework done. The thing is it’s so loud in the pool that I don’t do my homework and I usually don’t get off work till late.”

— sophomore Brooke Brown

Managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines can be difficult both at work and at school. Students may find themselves missing out on events and experiences because of work obligations but having a job can also provide students with skills such as time management, communication, and problem-solving

“I work right after school,” sophomore Aaron Krayniak said. “I’m already an insomniac so it’s no new damage, and my job has the added benefit of I get to eat slightly burnt chicken.”

I work right after school. I’m already an insomniac so it’s no new damage, and my job has the added benefit of I get to eat slightly burnt chicken.”

— sophomore Aaron Krayniak

While working can provide students with valuable skills, experience, and financial independence, it can also be demanding and challenging. Overall, whether to work or not while going to school is a personal decision that should be considered based on individual circumstances and priorities.