IS CHARACTER STRONG REACHING ITS POTENTIAL?

PHS students are asked how Character Strong can benefit them.
A Character Strong slide is displayed on the SMART Board.
Cecilia Villalobos

“We decided to designate time each week to [give] students a safe place to connect with their peers and one of their teachers.” PHS principal Timothy Wormald said.“To provide structure for that time, we have utilized the Character Strong program.”

Character Strong is a program that has been implemented into Powell High School, that encourages students to socialize and connect with the school community. However, it can be argued that it is not reaching its full potential.

“I would like to see more engagement from students and adults alike.” Mr. Wormald said. ”We have some pockets of excellence where students and staff do engage in meaningful dialogue and relationships are strengthened. We have other areas where that is definitely more of a struggle.”

I would like to see more engagement from students and adults alike. We have some pockets of excellence where students and staff do engage in meaningful dialogue and relationships are strengthened. We have other areas where that is definitely more of a struggle.

— Mr. Wormald

While the importance of connection has been emphasized through the Character Strong program, the point can easily be lost when connections aren’t formed. This defeats the purpose of Character Strong, and the staff and students of Powell High School can lose sight of what Character Strong was truly meant for.

“No matter what is included in a program like Character Strong, the people participating are what can make or break it.” PHS science teacher Alyssa Bell said.  “I’ve told my class a few times that “you get out of it what you put into it.”

The program’s ultimate goal is connection with peers and to build character, to create a safe space for students. However, some students argue that Character Strong time can be utilized for more academic purposes that may benefit them.

“It should have more resources to get stuff done.” sophomore Trystan Preator said. “Such as more teachers.”

Character Strong in the eyes of some students is viewed as more academic support. This can benefit students academically, but may not reach Character Strong’s main goal. Teachers and students alike believe that there is much room for improvement, and suggest ideas that may make Character Strong a more enjoyable experience for teachers and students.

“Even struggling through a challenge together can build bonds and can show who someone is without having to talk about yourself every time.” Mrs. Bell said. “If it were up to me, I would swap some of the lessons for things like team building or STEM challenges and games that can be played outside or on their cell phone similar to Jackbox games. And I would get rid of some of the cheesy videos.”

Even struggling through a challenge together can build bonds and can show who someone is without having to talk about yourself every time. If it were up to me, I would swap some of the lessons for things like team building or STEM challenges and games that can be played outside or on their cell phone similar to Jackbox games. And I would get rid of some of the cheesy videos.

— Science Teacher Mrs. Bell

Students may argue that Character Strong should focus on the individual, and help assist a student’s needs.

“Students don’t want another class; they want the time to study and not bring out their feelings about themselves in front of others.” PHS science teacher Wendy Smith said. “Students are not comfortable expressing themselves in front of people that they do not know or do not like.”

Powell High School students have various responses of what Character Strong could be, and how it could reach its potential. Staff and faculty are finding new ways and tactics to engage students into connecting with peers and the community.

“I’ll be honest, I have not prioritized Panther Time lately, which does not help with a successful implementation of the initiative.” Mr. Wormald said. “We’ll continue to have P Time in the future; hopefully we can make it meaningful for both students and staff.”