TIKTOK BAN: WILL IT HAPPEN?

PHS Students delve into the many ideas surrounding the Tiktok ban
PHS student scrolling through TikTok
PHS student scrolling through TikTok
Ginny Summers

TikTok, the well-known platform for watching a sharing short videos, has been the target of repeated criticism and attempts to be banned in various countries. 

The most recent attempt originates from the U.S., where the Biden administration has proposed new measures to restrict the app’s use.

In the ongoing discussion about the possible risks of the app, the Biden administration’s most recent attempt to ban TikTok is a noteworthy development. The proposed measures seek to address issues with data privacy, foreign influence, and national security.

“It has popularity around the world, including the United States, and with how frequently it’s being used, I don’t think TikTok will be banned,” sophomore Ashton Anderson said. “Apart from the China of the company [China and the company] being skeptical, I don’t think there’s a real reason to ban TikTok.”

There will probably be legal challenges to the proposed ban. TikTok had already filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration’s attempt to ban the app, stating it was unconstitutional. It is likely that the Biden administration’s proposals will also face scrutiny in the courts.

“For one, they’ve threatened to ban it like a bajillion, thousand times and it never worked,” sophomore Isabelle Thormahlen said. “It feels like a really stupid thing to happen and I feel like it’s not gonna fully go through.”

It is alleged that foreign governments, especially China, utilize TikTok to spread misinformation and propaganda. The administration is concerned that this might jeopardize social stability and American elections. The ban may worsen ties between the US and China. 

“If China wanted to manipulate us, they would’ve already done it. There are many better ways than TikTok,” sophomore Lewis Swartout said. “They don’t have a reason to ban TikTok, they are just going off of false accusations.”

If China wanted to manipulate us, they would’ve already done it. There are many better ways than TikTok. They don’t have a reason to ban TikTok, they are just going off of false accusations.”

— Sophomore Lewis Swartout

TikTok has over 1 billion active users globally, making it a significant player in the social media space. The app would lose a large percentage of its user base and revenue if it were banned in the US. 

“Some people are trying to blame it on playing with the insecurities of young people, but many other social media apps, magazines, and stuff also do that,” Swartout said. “Though despite all that, I use it a lot but I wouldn’t care if it was banned.”

Significant societal and economic repercussions would also result from the ban. The proposed ban’s potential implementation and long-term effects are still up in the air.