REGIONAL ROUND-UP

The girls and boys make the top three teams at regionals.
Powell High Schools Girls team place runner-up for regionals at Mountain View.
Powell High School’s Girls team place runner-up for regionals at Mountain View.
Tracy McArthur

On May 10 and 11, the qualified members of the PHS track team participated in regionals in Mountain View, Wyoming. The meet consisted of nine teams from all different 3A West schools and both our girls and boys placed in the top three.

Many athletes from Powell High School were able to beat their PRs (personal records), set new school records, and qualify for state at regionals, ultimately placing them ahead and gaining points.

“Overall, regionals went really well for me,” senior Waycee Harvey said. “I won in long jump and broke our long jump school record. I got second in the 400 [meter dash] and also broke our school 400m record. Then I got second in triple jump and fourth in the 100 [meter dash].”

Overall, regionals went really well for me. I won in long jump and broke our long jump school record. I got second in the 400 [meter dash] and also broke our school 400m record. Then I got second in triple jump and fourth in the 100 [meter dash].”

— senior Waycee Harvey

However, despite all the success, there were a couple of setbacks whether that be the girls’ leaking bus on the way over or the hail and rain that poured on the first day of the meet. Even with certain difficulties, the PHS team managed to pull it together, and the girls placed second and the boys placed third.

“We could have done better, but we weren’t bad,” senior Seston Shoopman said. “It started to hail while shotput was going on which wasn’t good.”

The weather was also challenging for the runners.

“The hail was not preferred,” sophomore Audrey Johnson said. “Everyone needs a nice little massage every few minutes, I guess.”

The regional team usually consists of the top four athletes from each event. These athletes make sure to prepare for regionals, whether that is through a certain schedule, or setting new goals.

“My goal for the regional meet was to place top eight to gain more points for my team,” sophomore Anai Torres said. “I’m preparing for state by nailing my technique and focusing on my focal points.”

My goal for the regional meet was to place top eight to gain more points for my team. I’m preparing for state by nailing my technique and focusing on my focal points.”

— sophomore Anai Torres

Considering this was the last meet before state, many had goals of certain things they wanted to work on and or achieve before then. Just like any other meet, they had gained new goals afterward for the State Championships or next year’s season.

“I was basically hoping to PR and I did,” freshman Sawyer Wormald said. “ My goal for next year is to hopefully make it to state.”

With the season closely coming to an end, it’s fair to say the season has so far been successful in personal and team growth. Many can agree that the regional meet showed the determination of each athlete as well.

“I think we all did our best under the circumstances,” junior Kenna Jacobsen said. “We all didn’t have our best days due to the weather and other things, but we tried our hardest and just came up a little short.”