Categories:

PARENTAL RIGHTS POLICY

A new policy made its way over to PHS during the summer
A new sign-in method greets students when going to the counselor.
Maddison Rodriguez

Based on state legislation, a new policy was introduced requiring PHS students to sign in before visiting the counselors, allowing parents or guardians to get a notification about the visit. This new rule is included in the Parental Rights policy.

“We will try to do the best by it for our families and our students and open communication keeping their wellbeing at the forefront of our mind,” Powell High School Counselor Kara Miller said. “It may feel inconvenient to check in and out of the nurse or counseling office each day, but we’ve also seen some benefit to this tracking for attendance and better understand how students are utilizing the counseling office supports. The data it gives on what types of supports they are requesting also informs counselors on how we can best serve students, be proactive, or areas that need additional learning…” 

Similar to Miller, Nurse Jennifer Phillips expressed her thoughts on the policy, finding it very beneficial and a great way to have open communication with parents about their students. 

“I think it’s great – the more communication that we have with parents about stuff that is going on with their children here at school,” Phillips said. “I think it’s great for them. I feel like my role is to open up communication between the parent and the student… y’all are grown up and ready to be not in high school anymore, right? So I’m helping you have that conversation with your parents.”

Not only does Philips find it helpful as a staff member, but she also finds it helpful as a parent.

“I feel like it’s good,” Phillips said. “Thankfully she [Phillips’s daughter]  talks a lot, and I pretty much know on the day-to-day, but having more communication with those trusted adults at school – I think it’s great for her.” 

Superintendent at PHS Jay Curtis found the policy helpful and has improved communication. 

“As for whether it improved anything, I suppose I would say that it has improved communication between school and home regarding the overall physical and mental health of students,” Curtis said. “We are, and should be, partnering with parents for the betterment of our students, and this policy probably helps that to a degree.” 

Overall, the new policy has been helpful for staff members and allows open, honest communication between parents and PHS. For additional information about the policy, you can visit  Park County School District.