Creating a disturbance in the high school, the farts emitted by the technology deployed by an unknown group of teenagers are now under question by the administration.  

Photo graphic curtesy of Emma Johnson.
Creating a disturbance in the high school, the farts emitted by the technology deployed by an unknown group of teenagers are now under question by the administration. Photo graphic curtesy of Emma Johnson.
Emma Johnson

A SMELLY INTRUDER

Fart-bombs had been planted in classrooms as practical jokes

Mrs. Moore’s English 10 class and Ms. Bell’s physical science and biology classes got fart-bombed toward the end of the school day on October 24th.

“The smell was getting worse,” science teacher Alyssa Bell said. “More students covered their noses, stood up, and tried to guess what was going on.”

The fart bomb would release a sudden burst of foul odor in both of the classes and would stay in the air strongly for a while.

“People were reacting with expressions of disgust,” English teacher Amy Moore said. “They were covering their noses in their shirts and running out of the room.”

Many people inside the premises of the attacks noted the awful stench that was released into the classroom soon after the initial combustion.

“The smell started to get worse and worse,” sophomore Sharae Shoopman said. “And so Mrs. Moore told me that we could go out of class”

All of the fart bombs were placed in the trash can, indicating that the same group of culprits did all of the attacks.

“I realized it was coming from the trash can,” Bell said. “But I could not see what exactly was in there to cause the smell.”

Students and staff would come to realize in the aftermath of the attacks that not even opening the window or door to the room would extinguish the ghastly odor.

“So I had the window open as long as I possibly could,” Moore said. “The smell lasted through night school.” 

After the long-lasting effects of the bombs were felt, it became readily apparent that it was not just a practical joke that could be ignored. Thus, the administration has now placed an investigation into the occurrences.

“Fortunately, there have been no more pranks since that,” Bell said. “I am thankful that administrators are looking into what happened.”

The smell was a big problem which then disrupted teaching and classes.

“It was very distracting,” Moore said. “It was difficult to teach.”

It would have been perceived as funny, but the stench was too strong and difficult for teachers to do their jobs.

“I enjoy practical jokes,” Bell said. “But I do think that those went a bit too far and did cause a disruption to the learning environment.”