ALL-STATE MUSIC ACCEPTANCE

Student musicians audition successfully
Twelve students from Powell made the All-State music ensembles.
Nalani Jordan

The Wyoming High School Activities Association and the Wyoming Music Educators Association provide a rehearsal and performance opportunity for talented and dedicated students through the All-State Honor Band, Orchestra, and Choir ensembles. Students experience a rigorous audition process and then are selected based on performance.   

There were twelve students to make All-State. Six were in Choir, three in Band, and three in Orchestra. 

So, how does someone secure an All-State music spot?  

Powell students traveled to Cody for their auditions. They received the music about a month before and then learned it the best they could.

“We play it in front of two people who record it for us, and then we submit it,” senior Kik Hayano said. “We’re selected from that.” 

When asked about preparing for auditions, the majority noted that they practiced every day or as often as possible after receiving their music. 

“[I practiced] whenever I could,” freshman Austin Sears said. 

Senior Madison Johnson made the All-State Orchestra with her violin. This is her fourth year auditioning, and she has made it two times previously. 

It was just kind of hard balancing homework and tests and then practicing as well. I found that just a little bit over time got me to where I am.

— senior Maddie Johnson

“It was just kind of hard balancing homework and tests and then practicing as well,” Johnson said. “I found that just a little bit over time got me to where I am.”

This year, Hayano made the All-State Band. Like Madison, she is also a 2-time previous performer and is excited about the experience. 

“It’s always really fun; the music we get is always really challenging [and] really beautiful to play with a bunch of very talented musicians,” Hayano said. “We also get directors from either colleges or out-of-state who are really great and love to come.”

It’s always really fun; the music we get is always really challenging [and] really beautiful to play with a bunch of very talented musicians. We also get directors from either colleges or out-of-state who are really great and love to come.

— senior Kik Hayano

“I think the real award is not getting into All-State,” Johnson said. “But the friends and memories made along the way.”

The performers will be in Casper on January 14-16. They spend two days practicing, performing on the final day. The audience often consists of parents and other family members, as well as state-wide music teachers and other connoisseurs of music.