WORRIES IN WINTER WONDERLAND

Winter weather brings expected and unexpected consequences to student population at PHS
Senior Isabella Gomez poses after taping the bus’s window shut.
Justin Dusenberry

Every year when the winter season comes around to Powell, Wyoming, and is typically followed by unfavorable weather. This year’s chilling weather has hit everyone especially mighty.

Recent frosty weather has left many in disarray, including some who don’t attend Powell High School. Hosting tournaments is one thing the school participates in, but when fellow competitors are unable to attend, it puts a damper on things.

“We had a big tournament that weekend of the bad weather,” freshman Madison Valdez said. “A bunch of teams couldn’t make it. It definitely affected basketball and other sports.”

The Speech and Debate team has also had a rather rough encounter with the recent frostiness due to weather changes. On their trip to Gillette, the bus that was chosen to take them had some difficulties.

“It was a mess; one of the air conditioning units started leaking a mysterious red liquid, and a lot of the windows wouldn’t stay open,” sophomore Justin Dusenberry said. “At one point the bus stopped working and we had to make it a longer trip [because of this].”

Learning from last year’s unexpected weather, the school district added built-in snow days to the school’s agenda. Many students wondered why school was still in session even though we had these snow days to use.

“I have to get new rides almost every morning,” sophomore Alex Watts said. “I can’t have the same person take me because their car won’t start. It just sucks.”

Sports aren’t the only ones affected by this weather; many students have had to change or get used to this, especially our new peers.

“I’m not used to this type of weather; I’m from Virginia Beach,” Dusenberry said. “It was a lot warmer over there. I don’t like to go outside anymore, it’s just too cold.”

These temperature changes were unexpected and brought realization with them. The students and staff have overall become more prepared for any future weather unexpectancies.

“I’m really glad that everyone is okay and no one got major frostbite,” sophomore Geo Dilworth said. “[The experience] was all minor, and I hope the school is going to learn from this experience.”