HITTING A DIFFERENT KIND OF TUNE

Make-A-Wish dodgeball fundraiser success
Gabriel Weimer and his team “Alpha Sigma” gear up to compete.
Brandon Gates

In a lively and well-intentioned fundraiser event, Powell High School students came together to show their dodgeball prowess and to raise money for the Make-A-Wish foundation. The event took place last Tuesday in the High School gymnasium where teams of students competed in a double-elimination bracket, fighting for first place. 

Student council organized the charity event, with Keegan Hicswa and Seeger Wormald as chairmen. The dodgeball participants formed teams, donning creative names and outfits to raise money for Make-A-Wish. Each team had a $40 entrance fee and could pay more to re-enter the competition if they were eliminated. 

“It was great to see students come together to raise money for the Make-A-Wish foundation,” Special Ed teacher Mr. Steven Whipple said. “It’s really well received by the students and gets them excited.”

Kolby Crichton, a junior Erocne singer at Powell High School, was a student who stepped up and donated close to 500 dollars to the foundation, almost setting a new school record. 

“My inspiration was a mix of helping a little kid fulfill their dream,” Crichton said. “And then, just dodgeball was a fun way to do it.” 

The Make-A-Wish week, made by the student council, has raised over 1800 dollars for the foundation. Between the in-school auction, dodgeball tournament, and other fundraising the High school continues to gain more money every year.

“The last three years, we’ve closed to doubled the money every year,” Mr. Whipple said. “Three years ago we were at 500 raised; now this year we are over $1800.”

With the success of the fundraiser over the last two years, the student council plans to continue organizing the tournament to raise money for Make-A-Wish. They hope to continue their growth and expand to the community outside the school.

“If we keep expanding like this into the community,” Hicswa said. “We should be able to raise more and more money for Make-A-Wish.”