THE RATE OF STAYING OUT LATE

The Pros and Cons of Curfews
The sun goes down meaning curfews will come into play.
Kate Williams

Whether having to stay out late or get home early, many high school students experience the worry of making curfew. Most high schoolers would say that curfews are restricting, but there are both pros and cons of having and maintaining a curfew.

Curfew times vary from person to person, with some not having a curfew at all. Some students say that although curfews can be limiting at times, they can be a good thing. One thing that curfews seem to have a huge effect on is school and homework.

“Staying out late definitely affects my school performance,” sophomore Kyra Morrow said. “I do much better when I’m home earlier to do homework or go to bed early.”

Staying out late definitely affects my school performance. I do much better when I’m home earlier to do homework or go to bed early.”

— sophomore Kyra Morrow

Spending more time out at night can not only affect schoolwork but the whole day as well. Junior Liam Taylor believes that staying out late can enormously affect a day’s work.

“Usually if you stay up late, you have to sleep in a little bit, and then you have a late start, then your day’s off, and it definitely takes some time to get back into rhythm,” Taylor said. “When I’m out on the town, not doing my work, I end up losing sleep, so the next day is kind of slow.”

Although students may be home by curfew, after they get home they may not be immediately able to go to sleep, affecting the amount of sleep needed to function the next day. Some students only stay up for a  little while after they get home; however depending on the person, the amount of time awake may vary.

“I usually go to bed at around 11:30 or 12:00,” freshman Lincoln Crawford said.“It [curfew] definitely affects school because you get more sleep.”

I usually go to bed at around 11:30 or 12:00. It [curfew] definitely affects school because you get more sleep.”

— freshman Lincoln Crawford

Although there are many good things about having a curfew, there are disadvantages as well, such as some people having to leave early. Teenagers may experience the fear of being left out when trying to meet their curfews, but getting home early helps to motivate teens to go to sleep earlier.

“Some cons are things like leaving things early,” Morrow said. “Like hanging out with my friends or going out to dances and games.”

Some curfews are very strict, while others are more chill and are easier to meet. Curfews can be anywhere from immediately after school to past midnight, but whatever the case, it is best to do the best to make your curfew.

“Right after school is my curfew,” Taylor said. “On weekends it’s usually around 10:00 or 10:30.”