SPEECH AND DEBATE RECAP

Students talk about their favorite parts of the speech and debate team.
Powell’s speech and debate team poses for a picture during their state competition.
Kyra Marrow

After a long year of lengthy bus rides, after-school practice, and competitions, Powell’s speech and debate team has come to an end.  

The speech and debate team has been deemed a favorite from all participating in it. As the season finally wraps up, students feature their favorite moments on this year’s team, which they call a family.

“Speech and debate definitely helped me come out of my shell,” freshman Ryah Easum said. “It helped me get a better set of friends. Speech and debate was like on big family and I am so thankful for everyone there.”

Speech and debate started in October and officially ended their season two weeks ago at their end-of-year banquet night. The team grew really close over the year and everyone was able to make new friends and make new lifelong relationships. 

“I had a unique perspective as a captain,” Senior Allie Gillett said. “I came into the season, and my goal was to try to make good relationships with everyone and to have a loving and accepting environment. Everyone blew me away with how caring they were for each other, and it led to a really good environment with strong friendships and relationships.”

I had a unique perspective as a captain. I came into the season, and my goal was to try to make good relationships with everyone and to have a loving and accepting environment. Everyone blew me away with how caring they were for each other, and it led to a really good environment with strong friendships and relationships.”

— Senior Allie Gilliatt

The team ended their competition season with a state tournament in Cheyenne. Three of Powell’s members placed at state with Allie Gilliatt getting 2nd overall and the 3A state champ for dramatic interpretation, along with Kyra Morrow and Paul Cox’s Duo in Public Forum placing 3rd overall and becoming the 3A state champs.  Also at state, Isabella Gomez received awards for Best Legislation and Student Ambassador along with Leeane Phillips, Isabella Gomez, and Taylor Peters in super congress. 

“We only got to four or five tournaments together,” junior Paul Cox said. “Things just really clicked, and that’s really important in a partnership, being on the same wavelength.”

Because of her leadership and accomplishments, Allie Gilliat signed for a full-ride scholarship to attend Casper College this coming fall.

“I signed to participate in Casper College’s speech and debate team,” Gilliatt said. “I’m really excited about that and I think it is going to be an amazing experience for me.”

Speech and debate ended with many tears, laughter, and lifelong friendships and turned out to be an amazing experience for all involved.

“It [speech and debate] really helped me build my confidence, especially on the school level,” freshman Ryah Easum said. “It’s a very competitive sport that is very academically led and it also helped me come out of my shell and make a better set of friends, and I love it so much.”