Categories:

AN EMPOWERING PARTNERSHIP

PHS Freshman Jordyn Nelson has pushed past many barriers to become a successful runner.
Freshman Jordyn Nelson runs at the Powell golf course for a XC event.
Ashlee Jacobsen

A very resilient runner rises to the challenge at each and every JV cross country meet. While many with her condition would just give up, this young lady perseveres. 

Jordyn Nelson, a freshman at Powell High School was born with a condition called Optic Nerve Hypoplasia (ONH). While this condition strongly affects Nelson’s vision, she doesn’t let it get in the way of her love for running. 

“[It affects] mainly my depth perception,” Nelson said. “I miss eighty percent of what the world sees because of my vision, so that makes it hard.”

However, this was only a small bump in the road for the PHS cross country coaching staff; they knew someone who was willing to jump right in and guide Jordyn for the 2024 cross-country season. 

“Mr. Holland from our special education program here at PHS is Jordyn’s guide runner,” Assistant Cross-Country Coach and English teacher Mrs. Tracy McArthur said. “He is an avid runner himself and would occasionally come to practice and run with our team.  We thought he would make a great guide runner for Jordyn. He is enthusiastic and is always willing to help one of our student-athletes.”

Mr. David Holland enjoys being Jordyn’s guide runner, but what is even more special is the friendship the two have created. 

“We have a fun bond that has built this year. We tell jokes and talk about the things we enjoy in life,” Holland said. “She does love Pringles, so each week I buy her a can of Pringles to help get her ready for each race. It has been a funny joke of ours that once ya pop a can open, [you] can’t stop, just like running.”

Nelson is growing tremendously, making the leap each week and substantially increasing her times at each meet. 

“She is a go-getter and works hard in practice,” Head Cross Country Coach and history teacher Mrs. Ashley Hildebrand said. “The proof is in her race times which have dropped by 2 minutes and 30 seconds over the course of the season.”

What is even better than Nelson’s love for running is how welcoming and excited the girl’s cross country team is to see others succeed. 

“They treat her like anyone else on the team,” Hildebrand said. “She is an athlete and loves sports, so she has that in common with her teammates.  You can see her playing frisbee or throwing a football with some of the guys before we start warmups or getting her hair braided by one of the girls before a race.”

Jordyn loves being a part of the team and especially loves running. 

“I’m super passionate about running,” Nelson said. “It was hard to make the jump from middle school because it’s a longer course but I’m glad I did.” 

The students of PHS cheer Jordyn on, as the end of the cross country season is approaching quickly.