SICK DAY INCLINE

Influx of sick days at PHS has impact across classrooms and athletics
 Students make up work after being gone for multiple days from sickness.
Norah Startin

Students at PHS suffer from inevitable sickness that causes them to miss multiple events. This year’s flu season has hit them with a bang.

Even though every year students get sick and miss a couple of days of school, this year’s events and social activities have been canceled due to student sickness. Sometimes more than half the students in a classroom are gone, and the teachers end up having to change their lesson plans because of it.

“If less than half of the kids are gone, then we will still do something,” Spanish teacher Mr. Brandon Preator said. “But if more than half are gone, I might give them the day off to study or something.”

If less than half of the kids are gone, then we will still do something. But if more than half are gone, I might give them the day off to study or something.

— Spanish teacher Mr. Brandon Preator

More than just sporting events have been affected by the recent incline in student sickness. Group projects have been postponed and done separately because people had to try and do them while home sick. Team efforts are always a struggle, and it is even worse when you don’t have everyone you need there.

“For my Foods class, there were four or five of us in our class total,” sophomore Tori Black said. “Three of them were gone, and there were only two of us, so we had to skip a couple of things for that.”

Under the weather students have a hard time keeping up with their missed school work. Oftentimes, students receive multiple assignments in one day, and when students miss these days, hours can be spent trying to catch up.

“I have a decent amount [of makeup work],” freshman Elizabeth Halberstadt said. “I have four or five assignments I still have to do that I have been working on.”

I have a decent amount [of makeup work].I have four or five assignments I still have to do that I have been working on.

— freshman Elizabeth Halberstadt

Overall, the majority of students out sick can get their work done with only a little bit of trial and error. However, sometimes students will be still stuck in the same position of presenting the next day in school.

“If we are doing partner assignments and your partners are gone for the day you’re [going to be] presenting,” Halberstadt said. “It can be kind of womp womp, but it’s fine.”