WYTOPP IS NOT ON TOP

The effort the PHS students put into the mandatory state test
A common sight to see when WYTOPP testing occurs at Powell Highschool.
Isaac Dunsey

During the closing of the high school year, the lower classmen all are required to take their favorite test, WYTOPP. However, the amount of effort put into state testing changes as students grow older.

While the upperclassmen look forward to March and April with anticipation, just waiting for school to be over, the lowerclassmen are stuck dreading the boring state test.

“WYTOPP doesn’t mean that much to me to be honest,” sophomore Ryan Barrus said. “I don’t look forward to it because of how long it takes.”

WYTOPP doesn’t mean that much to me to be honest. I don’t look forward to it because of how long it takes.”

— Ryan Barrus

While the teachers tell the students to try the hardest they can, many students don’t. They don’t put in the same effort into it as they do on a normal test due to WYTOPP not having an effect on their grades or performance. 

“I put forth a decent amount of effort,” freshman Calvin Opps said. “Not as much as I do on a normal test, but a good amount.

While the students are taking the test, the teachers must watch and keep the students on task. Last year the tests were held in the gym, but due to students’ efforts to cheat, they had to be moved to the classrooms.

I liked the new system. I feel like they [students] worked a bit harder than last year.

— Mr. Nate Urbach

While none of the students look forward to the required test, the students can receive rewards like an activity day where they can participate in activities set up by the school.

Like many years in the past, the PHS students have done a great job in scoring above the state average so good job Panthers! Keep up the great work!