Fluty receives top Wyo. P.E. teacher award

Mrs. Charli Fluty received the Wyoming high school P.E. teacher of the year award in November.

Isabella Wambeke

Physical Education and Health teacher Mrs. Charli Fluty received a major award recently.

Mrs. Fluty was named the Wyoming High School Physical Education Teacher of the Year Award by the Wyoming Association for Health and Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. She was recognized for this at the November meeting of the Powell School Board.

“I’m just doing my job and I love my job and it’s kind of strange to get an award for just doing my job,” Mrs. Fluty said.

I love what I do and I wouldn’t want to do anything different.

— Mrs. Charli Fluty

Mrs. Fluty works to make sure the students have fun but still receive a good workout. She also tries to teach her students the value of staying healthy.

“I think it’s very much deserved; she is a great teacher and very innovative,” Assistant Principal/Athletic Director Mr. Tim Wormald said. “I think it’s appropriate that she’s recognized in that way.”

Mrs. Fluty is the vice president-elect of the  WAHPER Board. Being a member of this organization Mrs. Fluty attends a conference and presents the tools she uses in her classes.

“The biggest thing is sharing all the great things our district is doing with other teachers across the state,” Mrs. Fluty said. “Being on the board and being able to present at these conferences, it just really helps to move all of the school districts forward. All of the things we are doing here many of the other districts have no idea about.”

Besides presenting at conferences Mrs. Fluty helps plan the conferences and encourages teachers to attend.

“I love what I do and I wouldn’t want to do anything different so to me it doesn’t feel like I’m doing anything more than anyone else,” Mrs. Fluty said. “I’m just doing my job just like everyone else.”

This is Mrs. Fluty’s seventh year teaching at Powell High School.