BOOK REVIEWS: Hailee Paul’s top picks hit all the big genres

More stories from Hailee Paul

GROUP WORK
October 19, 2018
Game. Set. Match.
September 14, 2018
BOOK REVIEWS: Hailee Pauls top picks hit all the big genres

How often do you feel that you can’t find a good book? Or that you need a new genre?

Finding a book that piques your interest is key. If you’re  not interested it can take you forever to finish the book or often times you won’t finish even finish it.

This list is definitely bound to help you find a book if you’re having trouble.

Fantasy

Undertow series (1. Undertow, Raging Sea, Heart of the Storm) by Michael Buckley

I’m not a fantasy person, but this series hooked me. Lyric Walker’s life has taken a turn for the interesting. Her small Coney Island beach town is now home to 30,000 Alpha (a five-nation race of ocean dwelling warriors). What used to be a small crime town has now turned into a military zone. The Alpha are on one side the humans on the other. Lyric who finds that she is one of them has been requested to help the crown prince, Fathom. But she ends up falling for him. However, their love is fighting against forces working to keep them apart. Only the Alpha may not be the enemy. They be the only ones who can save you. This series has plot twists that keep you wanting more. Michael Buckley portrayed a strong female lead that shows that women can do anything with support from friends, family, and even sometimes your enemies.

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

If you haven’t read this, you are truly missing out. Harry Potter was famous before he even knew it. After receiving a letter from Hogwarts he finds that he is a wizard. He soon embarks on his journey to his new home at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. When he first enters this new world he finds that he is the boy who lived; the one who survived Lord Voldemort’s curse to kill him. This makes him special. To Harry he doesn’t know why people are watching his every move, or why he is always the one sought after. But after learning more about his past and how he came to be who he is today Harry begins to understand. This series explores Harry’s years at Hogwarts, and his crazy challenges and adventures along the way. This is a classic read, and I highly recommend if you haven’t read it.

Fiction:

Dead Ringer by Jessie Rosen

This book will keep you on your toes. Rosen does a fabulous job writing this book. Her ability to keep her readers in the dark while keeping the story interesting keeps you hooked. Laura Rivers has a fresh start, or at least she hoped it to be one. But when she realizes that she is the doppleganger to a girl who committed suicide a year ago (Sarah Castro-Tanner) Laura is set on not letting it get to her. She soon catches the eye of Charlie Sanders, aka most popular guy in school. They instantly form a connection, but Charlie can’t get over the fact that she looks like Sarah Castro-Tanner. Throughout this plot twisting story you find that there may be more to the death of Sarah Castro-Tanner. But that’s what is so good about this book. The suspense draws you in and it makes you want to figure out the true story of that night.

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Recently made into a major motion picture, Everything, Everything is a terrific book. Nicola Yoon made you instantly fall in love with the characters and gain a connection with them. Madeline Whittier has a disease that makes her allergic to basically the world. So she is on house arrest at all times. Enter Olly. Madeline and Olly soon grow a connection just from seeing each other through the window everyday. But Madeline is stuck between a great divide. She can either choose to let this connection with Olly allow her to finally experience life, or she can choose to follow the orders of her mom. Madeline and Olly experience for the first time, love, the act of taking risks, and the struggle of going out into the world on your own. Everything, Everything had the gift to inspire many to go out and start taking risks and living life.

Romance:

Hush, Hush saga by Becca Fitzpatrick

This by far my favorite romance series. The Hush Hush saga is a riveting story that keeps you wanting more. Nora Gray is just an ordinary sophomore high school student until Patch enters her life. Even from his name you can just tell that there is something off about this kid. Even though Nora is warned and even has a feeling that he is a doubtful character she can’t help but feel a strong attraction for him. But some things don’t seem to be adding up. How is it that Patch is able be everywhere she is, or be there at the exact right time to protect her? And he somehow seems to know a lot more about her then she feels comfortable with. Throughout this series Nora discovers many unsettling truths that make her begin to question who she should trust, who she can love, and who she is as a person. Nora soon finds that she needs to pick who’s side she’s going to be on because the wrong choice could potentially cost her her life. I praise Becca Fitzpatrick for this series that I can say I have read countless times over and over again. Her ability to make a suspenseful yet romantic book series that you will quickly fall in love with is truly a gift.

Just one Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day is such a good read. If you are about to take a trip anywhere this is a must-read while traveling. Allyson “LuLu” Healey is traveling on a toured trip in England. At an underground performance of Twelfth Night she meets Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter. There’s instantly a spark between the two. After he takes her on an unforgettable day trip of Paris Allyson feels the connection grow. At least she felt it did, that is until the next morning when Allyson wakes up to find Willem gone with no goodbyes, nothing to remember him by except the memory of their day spent together. Allyson, over the next year finds through shakespeare and travel that she can’t let her almost-true-love get away. So she sets out on an expedition to find him. This is a wonderful story about finding out who you are as a person, and that anything is possible if you put your heart to it.

Mysteries and Thrillers:

Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham

Rogue Lawyer is such an interesting read. It takes a look into the world of an under-the-table criminal justice lawyer. Sebastian Rudd works for no firm, with no partners, he works for himself and he has one employee who is his driver/bodyguard. He is that one lawyer that will protect those that others strongly avoid. Although each one of them is highly likely to be guilty he believes that everybody should receive a fair trial and justice. In his career he has seen to many innocent people get sentenced and that is why he does what he does. He wants to protect those who never seem to be given a chance. This story takes you into three criminals lives and shows you that the law isn’t always fair. John Grisham does a fantastic job honing in on a life in the shadows, and how it isn’t always easy being a lawyer working on your own.

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

This book is bound to send chills down your spine. Being a part of James Patterson’s new children’s imprint this hard-to-put-down, hair-raising novel is based upon the Ripper murders. Based in the victorian era 17-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth has a perfect life. Born of a lord, a life filled with wealth, and privilege what more could she want. But against her father’s desires she has an odd pastime. While not at home she attends her uncle’s laboratory to practice and study the horrid act of cutting into cadavers. But after the work on a group of viciously killed corpses Audrey is drawn to the mystery of the serial killer. Her search for the truth takes her close to her own world. This creepy plotline has many twists and turns throughout and is sure to keep you on your toes.

Coming of Age:

The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith

The Way I Used to Be is a spectacular read. This story is an example of how one event can change your life forever. Eden has always been a good daughter, student, and sister. This all changes the night she is physically assaulted by her brother’s best friend. Eden’s life has now come to a halt. Everything she thought to be true is not. Eden feels lost and trapped because she knows that she needs to tell someone, but she doesn’t think she can. Spanned over her four years of high school this novel portrays a girl who’s been traumatically impacted and how she realizes that she is stronger than she ever thought possible.

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

Morgan Matson is a terrific author. This is one of my favorite summer reads. Andie has her entire summer planned out to the T. Being a politicians daughter she has had to learn how to take care of herself, and that you can always prepare for everything. She has an important summer internship, she has her four best friends, what else could she need? But after the scandal involving her father, Andie’s summer takes a turn for the unexpected. She meets Clark who may be more than her usual three week fling. She is now a dog walker. And Andie and her father begin to grow a closer bond that has been lacking in the past. Even though Andie wasn’t expecting this chaotic summer she has made memories she will never forget.

Hopefully one of these books was able to benefit you. If not I recommend looking up your own book reviews and recommendations. And if you do end up reading one these books please comment what you thought of it.