Powell’s Ice Cats

4 PHS hockey players are making their marks

Linda Kolpitcke

Ryan Kolpitcke takes a shot after winning the puck from the opposing team

Powell High School students who play on the Park County Ice Cats hockey teams travel every weekend and are working their way through the season to the state championship weekend.

The Ice Cats season lasts about six months — from the middle of October and runs until the beginning of March. Though the practices and home games take place in Cody, some Powell students play on the teams.

PHS students Rhett Pimentel and Ryan Kolpitcke make up part of the high school boys Ice Cats team, which has won six out of 14 games so far this season. Their record of 6-6-2 places them in eighth in the state.

“We expect to participate in the B state championship,” Pimentel said. “We probably have a decent shot at winning state.”

Pimentel has scored 10 goals this season and has a total of 13 points overall. These points come from any goals or assists the player makes.

Kolpitcke has scored one goal this season and has a total of four points.

Team captain Lauren Asher and Kayla Kolpitcke participate on the girls’ team, which has an age range of 9-19. The girls are four-time state champions. This season has been a good one so far, leaving them with an undefeated streak.

“Through goal setting and team bonding our team has had another successful season with an 18-0 record.” girls’ coach  Angie Johnson said.

Asher has a total of 47 points this season. She has scored 26 goals.

“Lauren is a quiet, positive leader, has quick effective hands, great hockey sense and is a total team player,” Coach Johnston said. “She is a positive role model for the younger players, helps develop their skills and always works hard.”

Goalie Kolpitcke has a 95 percent save percentage.  She has had eight shutouts this season and blocked a total number of 383 shots.

“Kayla is a great team leader, is extremely dependable and has excellent goalie sense,” Coach Johnston said. “She always stays positive, maintains focus and is the ‘ROCK’ of the team.”

The hockey players have to balance their many hours at the rink with everything else.

Rhett Pimentel wins the face off and takes the puck toward the net.

Asher also participates in PHS tennis and theatre. Her time is split between rehearsing for upcoming plays and practicing for upcoming games.

“Even though it’s really busy, it doesn’t get stressful because, for me, theater and hockey are stress relievers,” Asher said. “I get my homework done on the car rides and make use of the traveling time.”

Pimentel participates in tennis as well, along with being a valuable member of the PHS Robotics team.

“Hockey practice is pretty late,” Pimentel said. “I generally work on the robot from after school until hockey practice. I eventually make it home after hockey practice.”

Pimentel doesn’t mind the late nights and busy days.

“I am busy, but I love all of the activities that I do and am happy that I can make them all work together,” Pimentel said.

Ryan Kolpitcke does not participate in any school sports, but likes to spend all of his spare time outside hunting or hiking. Kayla Kolpitcke also participates in PHS cross country and soccer. The PHS students participating in hockey spend many hours at the rink each week and dedicate much of their time to the sport.

“I feel Park County Youth Hockey Powell athletes bring high levels of skill, extreme dedication and leadership which make them exceptional athletes and individuals,” Coach Johnson said. “The Powell athletes add skill, motivation and positive attitudes.”