3 PHS seniors earn prestigious STARR Scholarship

All expenses paid to Michigan State University

Maddy Hanks shows off her Michigan State University sweatshirt.

Three Powell High School students have been chosen from many applicants around Wyoming to receive a prestigious scholarship from Michigan State University.

Maddy Hanks, Rhett Pimentel and Hattie Pimentel have been awarded with the STARR scholarship, which covers tuition, room and board, travel to visit the school, travel for holidays and school supplies.

“We call this a bottom dollar scholarship,” counselor Mrs. Kara Miller said. “Its goal is to cover every bottom dollar related to the education process.”

The students were thrilled to hear that they had received the scholarship because it is a competitive scholarship to receive.

“I was super excited when I heard the news,” Hanks said. “I am fortunate for the opportunity and I’m excited for what the future holds.”

Rhett Pimentel had a similar reaction.

“I was at a robotics competition and was very excited to hear that both Hattie and I had received the scholarship,” Rhett Pimentel said.

The application process has many steps and must be done early to make sure you are admitted by the deadline.

“You have to apply by Nov. 1, but remember you have already be admitted to MSU,” Mrs. Miller said. “They are going to look at your SAT or ACT score so there is an academic achievement level in there.”

Applicants

Hattie and Rhett Pimentel earned the STARR Scholarship, along with Maddy Hanks, to Michigan State University.

must get letters of recommendation and do essays also. That’s in addition to the usual standards for scholarships.

“There are several important parts to most scholarships; grades, test scores, community engagement, extracurricular activities,” Rhett Pimentel said.

“There are four essays you have to do and three letters of recommendation,” Mrs. Miller said. “They are very strict on the letters of recommendation. They cannot be from someone who’s related to you.”

The essays are general topics, but some of the students have trouble thinking of an experience to write about, which makes the essays more difficult.

“The hardest part was an essay about the time you faced a tough decision,” Hattie Pimentel  said.

The students had an interview for the scholarship and this was a challenge for all of them.

“When I first applied for the scholarship, I didn’t know what the odds of getting an interview would be,” Hanks said. “I later found out that getting an interview was the hardest part because 8 of the 17 interviewees received the scholarship.”

Hattie Pimentel also thought the interview was more difficult.

“I thought my chances of getting an interview were pretty good,” Hattie Pimentel said. “After the interview I wasn’t sure because I didn’t know how my interview went. I’m not really all that good at interviews.”

Hanks is thinking of majoring in biochemistry.

“I am interested in biochemistry and eventually hope to attend med school or a Physician’s Assistant program.”

Both Pimentels are interested in other fields such as computer science, in Hattie’s case. Rhett Pimentel is interested in “Mechanical engineering and possibly a double major with business.”

Hanks gave advice to students who are thinking of applying in the future.

“My advice to anyone applying to the scholarship would be to work hard and dream big,” Hanks said. “Give 100 percent every day and good things will happen.”

Hattie Pimentel also gave advice to students for all scholarships.

“I think you should definitely apply,” Pimentel said. “It’s not really much work. If you want to be all that successful with scholarships in general it’s important to be a part of your community.”

For students hoping to get the scholarship, Rhett Pimentel emphasized pursuing opportunities and passions in high school.

“Find a couple things you really like to do and excel at them,” Rhett said. “Then, when it comes time to apply for the scholarship, you will have things to talk about in the essays and in an interview.”

Hanks and Hattie Pimentel are planning on attending MSU while Rhett Pimentel is not totally sure.

“I have not officially decided yet,” Rhett Pimentel said. “This is certainly a very good option that I am honored to have received.”