Make-A-Wish festivities kick-off this week

Powell High School begins one of their biggest weeks of the year

Natalie Dillivan

More stories from Natalie Dillivan

THE TREK TO SCHOOL
December 12, 2019

Senior Bronson Smith (front left) auctions the “Fatheads” of PHS teachers during the Wish Week assembly Wednesday, March 21.

Powell High School has officially kicked off its annual Make-A-Wish week.

Make-A-Wish is a nonprofit organization founded in the US with the mission of raising a substantial amount of money to grant a wish to a child with life-threatening medical conditions.

Every year, PHS works diligently to raise money for a child in the Big Horn Basin/Wyoming area.

This year, the school has entered a race to the most money with the local high school, CHS. The kick-off Monday ended with a dodge-ball tournament in Cody, with PHS team The Dream Team taking the ‘W’.

Tuesday’s dress up day is Twin Day, and Holiday Wednesday has added a $2 for a hat policy in hopes to raise even more money and beat out the rivals. This day will also have an assembly, with a minute-to-win it money grab, an auction of administrator parking spots and a teacher talent show.

Thursday is the big night at the school!.It’s Make-A-Wish day, with the purpose of showing off those blue and silver colors! There will also be a walking taco dinner, silent auction, and carnival. The dinner begins at 6 p.m. , and tickets are $5 apiece, or $20 for a family package. Tickets for the carnival will be sold at the dinner, for 50 cents apiece. Games include smash-a-car and a cake walk.

Friday will be Cancer color day, and Saturday will close the week long festivities with a neon dance at the Park County Fairgrounds. The dance will be combined with Cody students. There will be an admission fee.