Horton sees Wyoming lawmaking up close

PHS senior served as Legislative page for 2 weeks

More stories from Lauren Asher

Student of the Month
April 24, 2018

Sydney Horton poses with Wyoming State Rep Mr. Dan Laursen.

Senior Sydney Horton recently spent two weeks as a page at the Wyoming legislature in Cheyenne.

A page can sit in on meetings, deliver messages throughout the capital, pass bills around and work in the House or Senate while General Assembly is in session. Being a page allows for an in-depth view of the legislative processes within the state.

“I learned a lot while I was down there” Horton says. “When you go down there you think it’s all serious and formal, but the reps have so much fun. It was amazing to hear all the bills they wanted to amend and pass”.

Horton gained this opportunity from Wyoming Rep. Dan Laursen; he informed her on what the Senate was trying to accomplish as they talked about politics. He, along with someone in the House, sponsored Horton so she could serve as a page.

I came back a better person and leader. If you like government and politics, this is perfect for you.

— Senior Sydney Horton

She worked 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday, with a partner – another student from Casper.

“This experience didn’t convince me to become a politician,” Horton said, “but I became a bigger person and more responsible. I was able to form my own opinions…(and) do my own thing which made me more independent”.

Horton recommends the experience to everyone. She advises to maintain good grades and create an easy schedule second semester because of the two week absence. Students who attend must find their own place to stay and take care of transportation.

“I came back a better person and leader,” Horton says. “If you like government and politics, this is perfect for you.”