WHAT TO DO ON A FRIDAY?

Safe activities range from grabbing coffee to getting a little goofy

More stories from Ashley Dunkerley

STRIKING IT RICH
May 15, 2019

PHS students (from left) Abby Landwehr, Mia Baxter, Joe Kosulous and Ashley Dunkerley pose for their own album cover Aug. 16.

The bell rings. It’s Friday. The dam has been broken. Teens of all ages pour out of the pods. Every single one is longing for food, sleep and fun. At last, every student and staff member is relieved to be free of the strangulation of work and school.

But the day is still young. It is only 12:50 p.m. when the flood gates open. Older folks might assume high school hooligans will be out on a Friday afternoon breaking the law. Doing drugs. Smoking cigarettes. Weed. Vape.

Contrary to the popular belief, you can do many things on a Friday afternoon in a small town.

Whether you’re the kind of person who enjoys alone time or would rather chill with friends, here are some of fun legal activities to do on a Friday afternoon.

The job of a student is stressful, exhausting and full of anxiety.

Many students’ idea of a fun activity is catching up on some much needed sleep, like  freshmen Jayden Asher, Taylor Paul, Emerson Wormald and Riley Schiller.

Others might consider getting coffee with friends like sophomore Whitney Hull.

“[I] hang out with my friends and go to Uncommon [Grounds],” Hull said.

And there is always the classics.

“[I] read,” Whitlock added.

And most might agree with junior Devin Ott and choose to relax: “[I] hang out with family and friends and not do homework.”

Here are some fun legal activities to do on a Friday afternoon:

Friend activities

Recreate a movie poster. Take iconic movie posters or scenes and attempt to recreate that famous moment or you can make up your own.

Read memes as dramatically as possible. You and your friends find some memes to read and attempt to read them dramatically, in an accent, or while doing a task. Whoever can hold a straight face or complete the task wins.

Ashley Dunkerley
Ben Whitlock (left) looks up from his book as Riley Schuler accompanies him in the library on Nov. 29.

Play Jimmy Fallon games. Fallon hosts The Tonight Show and has guests compete in challenges and games.

’80s movie marathon. The classics are always worth rewatching. These include Back to the Future 1, 2, and 3, all of the Rocky movies and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

Try not to laugh challenge. Two people face each other, take a swig of water and hold it in their mouths; someone else reads a joke and the first one to laugh loses.

Word association games. Someone says a word and you either have to say what that word reminds you of or sing song including that word.

Solo activities

Read a book.  It doesn’t have to be long, and this time you get to choose what you read.

(There are audiobooks too.)

Watch that new show. You know, the one you’ve been wanting to watch but never got around to watching.

Learn a new skill. Although this sounds cliche, it can be enlightening. Just try it.

Watch a show. Check out that new show everyone’s been talking about.

Learn an accent. This is a skill anyone can learn and pull out at a party or with friends.

Master a Rubik’s Cube. It’s a fun way to test your brain.

Listen to a podcast. It’s an interesting way to learn new a way of thinking or just listen to some stories.

Whether you choose to ride it solo or get together with friends and family on your Friday afternoon, make sure you have fun, refrain from illegal pastimes and as always stay safe.