STUDENT TEACHERS: Learning with the learners

PHS welcomes five trainees

More stories from Abigail Cubbage

SUPER BORE
February 4, 2019

Abigail Cubbage

Mr. Dylan Ohman (left) and Mr. Troy Hildebrand work with students during sixth period geometry.

Not quite student, not quite teacher, they are student-teachers. There are five new student teachers in Powell High School. You’ll probably see them wandering the halls or lurking in classrooms observing how students do things.

In the purple pod, Mr. Joshua Fog is splitting time between  Mr. Nick Fulton and Mr. Nate Urbach’s classes.

“I’ve been really impressed with how cool and well behaved the students are,” Mr. Fog said. “All of the staff seems happy.”

Mr. Fog is from Emmetsburg, Iowa, and attended University of Wyoming. His main degree is history but he said he is interested in psychology.

The remaining student teachers are in the green pod. You may see one in the art room among Mr. Jim Gilman’s classes

“I’m really impressed with the art program,” said student teacher Ms. Maci Lucht. “ I mean the scale of things [Gilman is] able to do and create. Having a facility where there is actually space to create things on this massive of a scale is amazing.”

Ms. Lucht is from Cowley and attended Montana State University-Billings. Her teaching focus is art education.

In math teacher Mr. Troy Hildebrand’s math classes is Mr. Dylan Ohman, who is from Lovell and attended University of Wyoming in hopes of teaching upper level math.

“I prefer probably the upper level math; honestly I’m more comfortable [because] usually the students in those classes want to be there,” Mr. Ohman said.

Across the hall is Ms. Abigail Spillum. She is from Gillette and attended online school through Western Governors University.  She is aiming to teach special education.

In science teacher Mrs. Wendy Smith’s classroom is Ms. Kaitlin Loeffen. She is from Spearfish, S.D., and attended Black Hills State University, earning a degree in cellular biology.

“My specific (subject to teach) would be like anatomy and physiology,” Ms. Loeffen.