STAY BETWEEN THE LINES

More stories from Holden Wilson

Holden Wilson

Holden Wilson demonstrates how NOT to park in the student parking lot.

Finding the perfect parking spot is a First World problem but a problem nonetheless.

To most Powell High School students, this means finding a clearly marked spot in which to park their car, but to others, this means making their own parking spot. This could be across several clearly marked spots, along the curbs or in areas intended for moving vehicles.

When a privilege is given, it can also be taken away.

Please remember parking in the student parking lot is a privilege,” School Resource Officer Mr. Trevor Carpenter said in an email to PHS students on Feb. 8. “If students keep parking in a spot that they shouldn’t be, they might be asked to park off of school grounds by a school administrator.”

Traffic violations are seen by the city and state government as misdemeanors. And some students find parking the PHS student lot a challenge all its own.

“Sometimes it makes me uneasy to park my vehicle in the student parking lot,” junior Crandell Sanders said. “I think the high school parking lot is just a risky place to have your vehicle.”

While the student parking lot can be a sketchy place to be for some, it has the largest volume of parking for students.

“From seeing the way that people drive here, [my car] was bound to [get hit],” senior Nelli J. Lucus (N.J.) said. “I’m upset that it happened to one of my favorite cars, but everyone needs to stop showing off and just look.”

Not only are students worried about bad parking, but they are also concerned about their vehicles being hit.

“To other drivers, at the school or anywhere else,” Lucas said. “Watch for smaller cars and use your brain (when operating a vehicle)”