The Prowl

• March 12Panthers 2nd, Lady Panthers 4th at state 3A state basketball tournament

• March 12PHS cheer squad state camps for Game-Day routine

WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Kenadee Bott

More stories from Kenadee Bott

STORIES OF A LIFETIME
March 25, 2019

PHS senior hopes to inspire others the way she's been inspired

Back to Article
Back to Article

WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Senior Kenadee Bott teaches a writing lesson to Mr. Vin Cappiello's English 9 class last semester.

Photo courtesy: Vin Cappiello

Photo courtesy: Vin Cappiello

Photo courtesy: Vin Cappiello

Growing up, kids are often asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Usually, they respond with answers such as a doctor, astronaut, maybe even a few princesses in there. However, another frequent answer one commonly hears is, “I want to be a teacher when I grow up.”

For me, this answer constantly was changing. I went from a teacher, to a singer, to an actress, to a marine biologist and back to a teacher. Now as a senior in high school, this question seems to be coming up more frequently and has a lot more meaning. However, my answer is the same as many elementary-age children. I want to be a teacher.

People ask me “Why do you want to teach?” and sometimes, it’s not asked based on curiosity, but on judgment. In the movies, we hear the saying, “Those who can’t do, teach.” But for me, it’s not the fact that I “can’t,” it’s the fact I don’t want to. I don’t want to be a famous author with a best-selling book. What I want is to make an impact on future generations by showing them the passion I have for writing. I want to teach them why learning basics is just as important as the writing itself. I want to show them what it means to be a writer. Writing and reading go hand in hand and since I was little, I’ve had a passion for both. This passion has led me to this career choice.

The fact that teaching often is so looked down upon in society makes me fear for the future, not for my own selfish reasons such as risk of losing my job, but for the lack of respect that teachers receive in our world. Teachers have had the reputation of making kids miserable just for the fun of it, but the reason they are so serious about making kids learn is because they care so deeply about the kids. The students who pass through their classrooms every year only have a short amount of time to truly understand this material. Kids often confuse memorizing the material and understanding the material. My hope for the future is that I will help these students actually understand the material rather than memorize it for a short amount of time then never think about it again.

… I love what education has taught me and I want to share these experiences with future generations.”

— Kenadee Bott, PHS senior

Teaching is never a career I truly imagined myself going into. I was always a shy kid who never wanted to stand out. I always hated giving speeches in class. I would always shake and tear up because my nerves would get the best of me. However, I was able to teach a few lessons last semester in Mr. Cap’s English 9 class and have been involved in theater, thus I have learned the joys of being in front of a group or crowd, whether that crowd be a full auditorium or a classroom of students willing to listen to what I am saying. That nervous feeling has vanished, showing me my dream of teaching.

I know teaching is not an easy career, nor is it a dangerous one, but it does take hard work and dedication. Teaching often means declaring a double major in college, meaning more classes, more homework, more studying and less free time. Most students would groan at the idea of more work, but I am excited for what these classes will teach me in my preparations for my future. After hearing some people’s take away from these programs, I have learned that not only will the job take dedication, but the education and training will as well. However, this training is an exciting idea for me.

Teaching is not a job that people often want to go into. They don’t want to deal with kids all day every day. They don’t want to have to grade tests and papers. They don’t want to stay in a school environment. However, it’s not the downsides that I am excited for.

Sure, the idea of reading many papers every year is not the most fascinating part of the job, but it is a necessity. I’m excited for the bonds I can create with students. I’m excited for the lessons I will teach. I’m excited for the futures I will impact. It’s not the idea that I want to stay in school, but it’s the fact I love what education has taught me and I want to share these experiences with future generations.

1 Comment

One Response to “WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER”

1. Brandon Preator on March 1st, 2019 12:13 pm

Great article! Very thoughtful and well put together! On my worst days I sit and think about something else I could be doing. Sure, it’d be nice to be playing golf or out to be out on the lake. But for a career…..I can’t think of anything I’d rather be doing. And I can’t think of a better place to be!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

FIGHT OAR DIE

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

RELATIONSHIP ADVICE: PROM EDITION

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

IS HOMEWORK BENEFICIAL OR DETRIMENTAL?

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

‘A MARKETPLACE OF IDEAS’

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

HE PROMPOSED?

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

MOVIE THEATRE MADNESS

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Features

OSCAR PREDICTIONS: Hunt bats .500

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

BEST PART ABOUT SNOWBOARDING?

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Opinion

STORIES FROM GRANDMA

• WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER

Features

RELATIONSHIP ADVICE: New year, new happiness

The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School
WHY I WANT TO BE A TEACHER