GIVIN’ BACK, TALKIN’ POLITICS

RJ Kost visits with PHS’ government class

More stories from Aidan Hunt

AW SNAP!
May 9, 2019
State Sen. RJ Kost spent much of his first year retired from teaching serving the Wyoming Legislature.

wyoleg.gov

The PHS government classes recently had an unannounced visit from Wyoming state Sen. R.J. Kost.

Sen. Kost, who retired from teaching and serving an administrator in Powell for many years, spent time teaching students about his duties as an elected official along with how his life has been effected.

Sen. Kost’s presentation has been something that government teacher Mrs. Ashley Hildebrand has been planning for some time.

“Even when [RJ Kost] was running, I said if he were to get elected I wanted him to come in and talk,” Mrs. Hildebrand said. “He was a teacher for a long time and he’s really comfortable in front of classrooms.”

Mrs. Hildebrand’s purpose in bringing the senator was to give students a first hand account of a senator’s life and work.

“I think it’s important for him to give them that first hand view of what actually happens,” Mrs. Hildebrand said.  “It’s easy for me to say this is what is suppose to happen, but it’s better for him to tell you that this is exactly how it happens.”

Students from the classes also seemed to appreciate the experience.

“I thought it was really cool to have him come visit us,” senior Sarahjo Rodriguez said. ”I think it was important since we got a first hand explanation on what it’s like to work in the senate.”

Mrs. Hildebrand also thought that the presentation was important for students to hear.

“It’s easy for me to say this is what is supposed to happen, but it’s better for him to tell you that this is exactly how it happens,” Mrs. Hildebrand said. “I liked how he talked about your voices being important and I think it’s good to hear that from your representatives.”

Along with this presentation, Mrs. Hildebrand plans to  bring Sen. Kost back to PHS for future presentations. She plans to have a more interactive experience, and she has a possible debate in the works.

“I do plan to bring him back later this semester,” Mrs. Hildebrand said. “I talked about having him come back to maybe have you guys write your own bills, but I think debating will be more fun.”

Students also are excited for the his return

“I think it that would be a great experience for all of us,” Rodriguez said. “It’ll give us a chance to showcase what we have learned this semester.”