SUPERINTENDENT’S MESSAGE TO THE COMMUNITY

Protocol in place if coronavirus continues to spread

(ADVISER’S NOTE: Mr. Jay Curtis, Superintendent of Park County School District 1, transmitted this note via email to staff, students, parents and community members, on Feb. 28. The Prowl is publishing it here as a reminder to all what the school district response has been and will be to the Coronovirus outbreak.)

Courtesy photo
Mr. Jay Curtis,
Superintendent

As I am sure you have all heard, the World Health Organization and CDC has issued a warning regarding the Coronavirus. They have asserted that it is not a matter of “if” but”when” the Coronavirus will begin to spread in the United States. As a result, we have consulted with local and State Health officials to determine our best course of action to mitigate the spread. First and foremost, we would like to encourage ALL individuals to practice social distancing when you are sick. Remember, this is also flu season and these recommendations are always a good idea. Parents are encouraged to keep students home who are exhibiting cold and flu-like symptoms. Likewise, we encourage staff to refrain from coming to work if they have those same symptoms. Everyone is encouraged to wash hands regularly with warm water and soap, and to use alcohol based hand sanitizer when hand washing is not available.

The district will be taking steps to help minimize spread, such as encouraging frequent hand washing for all staff and students and we will be strictly enforcing our existing policy to send students home that have a fever. We will also be using enhanced cleaning protocols by using advanced products regularly on high touch surfaces in every school.  Our nurses, along with administration will be vigilant in monitoring the student body and staff as a whole for symptoms. We will also do our part to assist the Department of Health and CDC in tracking the spread of the virus through a process of reporting to those organizations. Essentially, we will be following the policy on pandemic flu that we already have in place …

Please remember, as I have said previously, this is the height of  flu season, which has very similar symptoms to the Coronavirus. We must remember to be vigilant as individuals and as an organization to help minimize the spread should the virus reach our community. We will continue to monitor the situation and maintain communication with health officials to keep our community safe and healthy.

Lastly, I have attached some information from the CDC as well as a recommendation sheet from the National Association of School Nurses to provide you all with the very best information available. Please read, and follow their recommendations to help keep your own families healthy!

If you have any questions, please e-mail or call my office.

Thank you,

Jay Curtis, Superintendent

PCSD#1

Powell, WY 82435

307-764-6186