The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 22(April 27) PROM @PHS Commons ~ 8:30 PM - 11:30 PM
  • April 22Good luck to those competing at State SkillsUSA in Casper!

The Prowl

The Prowl

YOU GO GIRL

Melinda Campbell
(From left) Eighth grader Saige Kidd, sophomore Maddie Campbell and eighth graders Evan Whitlock and Alex Jordan demonstrate the four stages of a squat clean.

Summer is coming quickly. With less than one week left of school, many people are getting ready for summer and starting to work out. 

People are purchasing bathing suits or short shorts just for the occasion. Most guys are training during the summer for sports and athletics. But girls are training to look better.

As an athlete, I train in the summer to get stronger for sports, but for most girls this isn’t the case. They look for different diets and different ways to be skinnier. 

“I think it’s fun, but as long as you don’t get carried away,” sophomore Blake Nissen said. “There are rules to hot girl summer but it’s just supposed to be fun and dumb.”

Nowadays, girls care so much about what their status looks like in school, work or in society in general. Some girls lose themselves in the process. They follow trends, start acting like their friends and develop unhealthy habits.

Girls may feel the need to look this way and go on diets because of society how women present themselves. Although this information does not apply to all women though. 

“I think that women’s status has definitely risen throughout time, but it’s still not as equal as we would hope for or should be,” Nissen said. “Males and females both get discriminated against for odd things.”

I think that women’s status has definitely risen throughout time, but it’s still not as equal as we would hope for or should be

— Blake Nissen

But society has done a ‘great job’ in shaping the way women feel insecure. It’s definitely affected the way women feel today.

According to US News & World Report, “Women have made great strides – and suffered some setbacks – throughout history, but many of their gains were made during the two eras of activism in favor of women’s rights.”

There are many types of diets or ways to get a “summer body,” though women have found about every single way to pull it off whether it be good or bad.