Welcome to ‘The Realm’

Lord of the Rings mural revs up back corner of green pod at PHS

The Lord of the Rings mural outside Mr. Vin Cappiello’s room is beginning to take shape. It will depict several characters and the “one ring of power.”

Many students have noticed the paint brewing outside English/Journalism instructor Mr.  Vin Cappiello’s classroom.Inside of Mr. Cappiello’s room, it is evident that he is a Lord of the Rings fanatic..

“There was a lot of choices between the train, unicorn, mural and pastel, but I didn’t want to the pastel or the others so I chose to do the mural,” said sophomore Marie Ramier, one of the students working on the project.  “I have never done one before so it will be really different. ”

Every time I paint there I mostly just look forward to the day where all these walls will be covered in murals and all of these different ideas.

— Sophomore Randallin Flores

The acrylic-based mural will consist of Gollum above the window, the ring to the left of the door, Frodo and Sam above the door and possibly the title of the Lord of the Rings in its classic font next to the ring.

“Every time I paint there I mostly just look forward to the day where all these walls will be covered in murals and all of these different ideas,” said sophomore Randallin Flores, another art student working on the painting.

Mr. Cappiello said he feels honored this section of the building was chosen for this project.

“‘Gandalf said, ‘All we have to decide is what to do with the time is given to us’,” Mr. Cappiello said. “The fact these students are using their time in art to depict a wonderful work of literature and film is flattering beyond words.”

Students of all kinds are looking forward to this new addition to Powell High School. There’s not yet a specific date when this mural will be complete.