POSTCARDS FOR PRYCE

PHS students send postcards to child battling cancer

Photo Courtesy of Emma Brence

PHS students reach out to a child battling cancer through postcards and inspiring messages.

A large percentage of the world is affected by cancer every day. Adults and children go through strenuous procedures to hopefully clear their body of cancer. While there is no cure for cancer, organizations and communities are finding ways to bring joy to the families and patients.

Pryce Redmon is a seven year old boy who is currently fighting his fourth relapse of Neuroblastoma. This cancer affects the nerve tissue and most commonly starts in adrenal glands.

“Cancer is a scary disease,” junior Lucy Whipple said. “[Cancer] is a hard thing to watch someone go through, so any support we can give this population is powerful.”

Pryce’s mother runs an Instagram page that follows his journey through hospital visits and the memories they get to share with family.

“I have been following Pryce’s Instagram page for a couple of years now,” English and History teacher Mrs. Tracy MacArthur said.  “I found it by accident and was drawn in by this boy’s tremendous courage.”

Pryce’s mother mentioned he loves postcards and hearing about different places in the U.S. McArthur chose to send postcards from Wyoming to show some encouragement to the young boy.

“The postcards were to make someone’s day brighter,” junior Jonathan Hawley said. “Sometimes, people feel alone in their trials, so it is always nice to receive encouragement from supporters, even if they’re strangers. The feeling of knowing you’re not alone can help an incredible amount when dealing with the struggles of life.” 

The postcards were to make someone’s day brighter. Sometimes, people feel alone in their trials, so it is always nice to receive encouragement from supporters, even if they’re strangers. The feeling of knowing you’re not alone can help an incredible amount when dealing with the struggles of life.

— Jonathan Hawley

Mrs. McArthur utilized her classes in this act of kindness to share the support and let the students of PHS show their empathy.

“My PHS students are the best,” Mrs. McArthur said. “I know how caring and compassionate they are about others. I have seen them in action during Make-A-Wish week and other fundraisers. So I thought I would bring some postcards to school and let them write some inspiring messages to Pryce.”

For many of the students the good deed doesn’t stop in the classroom.

“I wanted to get as many people involved as I could,” junior Carson Lawrence said. “I feel so happy when I look at the Instagram page and see his bravery. I wanted to spread the powerful message as best I could.”

If you want to continue following and supporting Pryce’s journey you can follow him on Instagram @prayersforpryce.