The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

PURA VIDA

SIX PHS STUDENTS TRAVEL TO COSTA RICA OVER SUMMER
The+entire+Costa+Rican+tour+group%2C+including+PHS+students%2C+visit+a+waterfall+in+the+Arenal+province.+%0APhoto+courtesy+of+Pura+Vida+Tour+Guide.+
Pura Vida
The entire Costa Rican tour group, including PHS students, visit a waterfall in the Arenal province. Photo courtesy of Pura Vida Tour Guide.

Pura Vida. A commonly used phrase by the citizens in Costa Rica meaning “pure life,” or rather “you only live once.” Six Powell High School students embraced this well-known phrase by accompanying Spanish teacher and assistant tennis coach Brandon Preator on a trip to Costa Rica. 

On July 24th to August 1st, these students experienced a once-in-a lifetime opportunity to receive an authentic adventure conversing with locals, sightseeing, and more. Throughout the week these six students visited four different provinces and spent time involved in a variety of activities. 

“Some of the activities we did were touring pineapple, chocolate and coffee plantations,” senior Cassidy Reimer said. “We also went on a night nature walk, an alligator safari, zip lining, and we hiked a lot. We hiked up to a volcano, beach and a waterfall.” 

Accompanying PHS students were other tourists from Iowa participating in the same tour and group itinerary. Some of the students from PHS enjoyed touring the country with other high school students, as well as strengthening relationships with kids from their own school. 

“I liked being with the other schools,” junior Avery Short said. “It really opened up my mind to making new connections and talking to people I didn’t know. It was an extremely helpful experience. I made a lot of connections with kids from my own school that I wouldn’t have ever thought I would.” 

I gained a new perspective on how people live in different parts of the world and how privileged we are in the United States. It was scary talking with the locals at first, but then we got better and it was fine.

— junior Kendal Eden

At the beginning of the trip, some students struggled with communicating to other locals. Throughout the trip they relied on guided assistance from Mr. Preator who provided translations when necessary. 

“I gained a new perspective on how people live in different parts of the world and how privileged we are in the United States,” junior Kendal Eden said. “It was scary talking with the locals at first, but then we got better and it was fine.” 

The opportunity and exposure to the Spanish culture given to these students is something that couldn’t be captured in a classroom. 

“My favorite was probably all the activities we did and connections I made with people from my school,” Short said. “But my least favorite part was leaving! I loved Costa Rica and it was such a fun time to get to see all the different things and experience different ways of living and eating.”  

With  a variety of activities present during this trip, the students personal favorites of the vacation varied as well. 

“My favorite part of the trip was definitely the zip lining,” Reimer said.”It was definitely a new experience, especially when we went over this Canyon, and we were up in the air about 200 feet; it felt like you were flying. There is also a Tarzan swing on the ziplining tour which was breathtaking.” 

The group traveled with a tour guide named Rebecca Gutierrez, a citizen of Costa Rica. As the students traveled to each different province in Costa Rica she shared history as well as her personal compassion for each part of her country. 

“Our tour guide was amazing,” sophomore Cael Kysar said. “She always had something for us to do and was really energetic and taught us a lot about her culture and country.” 

The advantages of having a tour guide proved to be very helpful for the travelers. Safety was guaranteed as well as translations when needed. 

Our tour guide was amazing. She always had something for us to do and was really energetic and taught us a lot about her culture and country.

— sophomore Cael Kysar

“I felt super safe in Costa Rica. Our tour guide was very nice, and she cried when she left us at the airport,” Eden said. “I would definitely take this trip again, but I’m not sure I would do it by myself or with my family without a tour group or a teacher who could easily translate for us.” 

Whether it was unforgettable sights or basic interactions with other locals, this Costa Rica trip is one that PHS students will never forget. 

“It was a great opportunity for students to engage in different scenarios with locals speaking in Spanish while buying food or just having regular conversations,” Preator said. “I had a great group of students. They were easy to travel with and made traveling to Costa Rica very fun.” 

View Comments (1)