The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

BATTLE OF THE BOTTLES

What makes these water bottles so desirable?
Hali Hancock
Pictured above are a few of the Stanleys from Hali Hancock’s collection.

Hydration is a necessity for survival. But recently, the “real” necessity is hydrating in style. As lifestyle, food, and clothing trends come and go, so does the new best water bottle.

The most widely known water bottle boom was the Hydroflask, which peaked around 2019. These bottles are vacuum-insulated for maximum temperature control. They come in sizes ranging from 18 to 64 ounces with the main lids being screw-on lids or pop-up straws. 

The purple one is [my favorite] because it’s my favorite color. They also don’t spill as much as Stanleys.

— sophomore Hadyen Watts

Many people were drawn to the sleek design of the bottle and the many aesthetic pastel colors that were offered. Hydroflask’s natural ability to constantly make noise can be a problem for some, though. They are often know for slipping out of backpacks, rolling off of desks, or finding unexpected ways to hit the floor. 

“The purple one is [my favorite] because it’s my favorite color,” sophomore Hadyen Watts said. “They also don’t spill as much as Stanleys.”

During the past couple of years, Stanleys have gained popularity. This bottle is also insulated, with the most common design having a handle and a straw. The straw can lead to spills, but there are also pop-up straws that provide a leak-free alternative.

The color options for this water bottle are mostly neutrals such as cream, light pink, and brown. Because of these simple colors, the bottles became a popular accessory to coordinate with people’s neutral outfits. Proud Stanley owner, Hali Hancock, owns eight Stanleys and loves them. 

They are just perfect, and they’re cute, and they keep your water so cold. When you’re drinking out of something cute, it’s just way better.

— sophomore Hali Hancock

“They are just perfect, and they’re cute, and they keep your water so cold,” sophomore Hali Hancock said. “When you’re drinking out of something cute, it’s just way better.”

Though the waterbottle brand launched in 2020, Owala has been on the rise in recent months. This insulated bottle has a multipurpose mouthpiece that makes it possible to sip through the straw or tip it back and drink. The bottles have unique color palettes with the separate components all being a different color. 

“t’s really easy to use and the straw is built in. But sometimes it’s difficult to close and it’ll pop back up in the middle of class.

— sophomore Audrey Johnson

“It’s really easy to use and the straw is built in,” sophomore Audrey Johnson said. “But sometimes it’s difficult to close and it’ll pop back up in the middle of class.”

While Owala seems to be the next big thing, you never know what bottle could come next. While the metal, insulated bottles are here to stay, color, lids, shapes, and sizes will vary. Only time will tell what water bottle will be the next big thing.