Comprised of 6 upperclassmen, the Prowl Editing Staff of (left to right) junior opinion editor Katie Morrison, junior sports editor Toby Sessions, junior news editor Ethan Cartier, senior Editor in Chief Emma Johnson, senior Associate Editor Jimmy Dees, and junior feature editor Caitlin Belmont stand proudly behind the Wyoming Student Media Association 3A/4A All State Champion Newspaper 2023 trophy.
Amy Moore

EDITORIAL: A JOURNEY A LONG TIME IN THE MAKING

The Prowl becomes back-to-back state 3A/4A champions

As editor in chief of the Prowl, often it can be assumed that as the one “in charge,” I would bear responsibility for our most recent achievement, taking home the coveted 3A-4A State Newspaper title for a second time in a row. But within the complexity of such accolades suddenly bestowed upon me, I can’t help but take a moment to truly reflect upon the staff members and previous editors who got me to where I am today. 

Such a journey begins with the previous journalism advisor, Mr. Vincent Cappiello. As my instructor of English 9, a freshman introduction course, it was through Mr. Cappiello that I was first exposed to the newsroom. Originally, he jested that I would be welcome into the class next year strictly for my ‘stellar penmanship,’ and it would be my sole job to write titles and deadlines on the coveted backboard, the one usually scribbled with dates, ideas, names, and categories sorted by News, Opinions, Features, and Sports

But soon, the love for journalism was quickly planted, and Mr. Cappiello fostered that love by inviting me to the study halls with the upperclassmen editors of my high school’s online newspaper publication, The Prowl. Amid the chaos, I found myself growing more passionate about the topics covered, such as the reverence held for the First Amendment, the controversy of opinion pieces, and so much more. With great joy, I signed up for journalism as an elective. 

However, it was with great disappointment that Mr. Cappiello announced that year he would be retiring. I still recall the sadness that I felt, knowing that such a potential long-term teacher and mentor would be leaving. But then a new emotion was evoked. The journalism program needed a new advisor and there was uncertainty for some time as to who would take up the space that left such a pertinent legacy. 

That person would be Mrs. Amy Moore. As an English teacher herself, she knew firsthand the importance of allowing a space where students can constructively express their thoughts. But more, in her ability to recognize the need for a student-led class and a place that gave real-world tactics to handling differing opinions in a suitable format, she singlehandedly saved the program from potentially being cut. 

In doing so, she has undoubtedly led The Prowl to be where it is today. 

But within the understanding of how important the journalism class is, there is an equally important part of it: the students. The class believes in how important it is for students to impart to the next class of students the right tools and skills to write quality stories. Beyond the AP style, and writing quotes in Joe Schmoe style, there is an undeniable component in the ability to transform a student’s passion by simply taking a moment by teaching one on one. 

In recollection of my first ever story being edited, I was so scared to have my hard work be wrong. I luckily had formatted most of the story correctly, and for a COVID story, I look back on it now knowing that it wasn’t too bad of a job in reporting on something that was practically common knowledge at the point. 

But boy was I wrong on my second story. 

The formatting of graphs was way beyond the normal length, the concept of hyperlinking was foreign to me, and quoting an outside source was quite impossible. Even with all of this, that mentality of a student-led class has impacted me the most in editing this story. It was Associate Editor at the time, Aiden Chandler, who that called me to the back table and walked me through my mistakes. 

With those mistakes, I became so much more appreciative of the simplicity of having peer edits and respectful of the power that comes with passing down knowledge. 

Against the stereotypes of the Editor in Chief and Associate Editor teaching everything, for a majority of my sophomore year and first year in the class, I gained so much of my proficiency for journalism through the upperclassmen girls in that class. This is a special thank you to Alexis Terry, Shelby Carter, Chase Anderson, and Gabby Paterson for making such a tangible impact. 

But especially to Gabby Paterson, for it was in my junior year that she altered the trajectory of the Prowl with her constant diligence in fulfilling the duties outside of the classroom. Watching Gabby be an Associate Editor in the first semester and be sworn in as Editor-in-Chief unexpectedly after the role needed to be filled, I witnessed firsthand what a true leader is; someone who rises to the occasion to serve a mission. 

Moreover, she has become a lifelong friend to whom I’m grateful because not only did forever alter the trajectory of my high school’s newsroom but also allowed me to see where the passion of journalism can lead you. She was such an integral part of the Prowl and the legacy she’s left still shows in every deadline spreadsheet that is filled out and every time I see her initials of GP on old drafts in the Google Drive folders. 

Long and short of it, this win of All-State Journalism is not something that is solely my weight to bear. The remnants of old advisors, past Editors-in-Chief, and staff members have stuck with me in everything that has been completed in the last semester. This win is representative of years of education and I am so grateful for the people that have led not just me, but The Prowl to be where it is today. 

View Comments (2)