¡DEDICADO A DUOLINGO!

PHS’s Spanish students are greatly committed to Duolingo
Brag board of Duolingo stats graces la pared in Sr. Preator’s room.
Isabelle Urbach

The Spanish students of Powell High School are well acquainted with the little green owl that dominates their favorite learning app. 

Duolingo, the well-known educational software for all things language, is a serious matter to lots of students around the world, and even here at PHS. 

While it’s not assigned, Duolingo is highly recommended for those learning Spanish to help keep up with their skills. Most students use the app as a way to get ahead in class, and others like it to compete against their friends.

“It’s a great resource for Spanish students wanting to learn Spanish,” Spanish teacher Sr. Brandon Preator said. “I don’t use it very much in my classroom, so I don’t know if it makes a huge difference, but I know it definitely could if I wanted to start using it more.” 

Whether it’s the not-so-subtle threat of the menacing owl or the constant notifications sent to your phone, the app knows how to keep you and your streak going. The game-like attraction of the app tricks kids into playing for points instead of realizing they’re learning. They end up using their competitive nature in ways to influence their education.

“Not to brag, but I’d say I’m one of the smarter kids in my Spanish class,” sophomore Alex Watts said. “And Duolingo definitely helps me do Spanish class better.”

To most, it seems like a silly subject, but don’t be fooled, it truly takes determination and devotion to commit to your Duolingo streak. For some, their XP scores have come down to days, months, and even years.

“I do probably three to four lessons a day,” sophomore Isabelle Urbach said. “ I have almost a 500-day streak which I have because I do it when I’m bored, and I’m bored a lot.” 

Lots of these students are grateful for the opportunities and knowledge the app teaches them as well as the actual Spanish class. For most, it’s about beating their friends’ scores, but others realize that being bilingual can truly help down the road.

“Duolingo is life,” sophomore Emma Sapp said. “Without it, I would only know what ‘estoy presente’ means.”