MAKING WAVES AND BREAKING TIMES.

Boys state swim results
The Powell High School team swims and dives into success.
Myah Rakness

As the boys’ swim season ended, they headed to state in Laramie, Wyoming to show the hard work and dedication they put in and accomplished this year. The team ended up coming in 9th place out of 12th for 3A.

The team did very well with a much smaller group this year. Many teammates ended the season with a personal record and great times altogether.

We had a small team that really bonded well. Half the team came from Lovell and the other were from Powell. It was great to see them firm friendships and bonds,” Head Swimming Coach Stephanie Warren said. “Overall, seeing all of the improvements from the beginning to the end of the season and all the great time drops was awesome to see.”

The boy’s team had an outstanding number of top performers this season, especially for the seniors. Adam Williams, Gabe Rose, and Jon Hawley were all leading lights.

“For me, state swimming was really fun. It was my last season,” Senior John Hawley said. “While I didn’t do as well as I would have liked to in diving, I swam a state qualifying time with 25.9 seconds in the 50 freestyle.” 

The Powell team had many outstanding performers and had a successful season, to say the least; they all had great swims during the season, especially at the end of the season. The team placed higher than they did last year which was another great accomplishment. 

With the team being smaller this year, it did not stop them from having strong swimmers and divers. They improved all season and there were many fast times. Freshman Garrett Lennon placed 10th out of 12th in the Boy’s 1-meter diving with an overall score of 325.30.

“It was pretty surreal to be in finals for diving as a freshman,” Lennon said. “It was crazy because I was looking at all these juniors and seniors and then I’m over here, just a freshman.”

The whole team could agree on how much their coaches impacted and were a big contributor to them this season as well as their manager, sophomore Patricia Christensen.

“Our coaches worked really hard this season, they helped us improve in the areas that we needed more improvement,” sophomore Trystan Preator said. “[Coach] Warren is one of the best diving coaches that we could possibly have.