SUMMER STYLE

PHS students adjust their style to stay comfortable as the weather heats up.
Summer is on the horizon, along with the excitement of warmer weather.
Ava Stearns

With May and the anticipation for summer on the horizon, the weather in Powell is slowly warming up. Powell High School [PHS] students have started ditching sweatpants and hoodies and reaching for shorts and T-shirts.

As the weather warms up, sweatpants begin to feel much less comfortable, so almost everyone raids their closets for lighter apparel. One way that almost everyone lightens their outfits is by wearing shorts.

“Most people are wearing shorts now that the weather is warmer,” junior Kate Miller said. “Nobody wants to wear sweats anymore.”

It isn’t just a different pair of pants, though. Everything about outfits has changed. Beanies have changed to baseball caps and hoodies have been replaced by T-shirts and tank tops. In some cases, even shoes become, lighter, more open, and more relaxed.

“My outfits all shorten up. No sweatshirts, no sweatpants, and always open shoes,” sophomore Dominic Bieber said. “I’m wearing slides right now.”

However, some prefer to wait until the weather significantly heats up to change their wardrobe. The temperatures of April and even May still aren’t warm enough to convince them to change,  waiting for the 70 and 80-degree temperatures to even think about throwing on a pair of shorts.

“It takes me a while before I get to the point where I’m wearing shorts. That usually occurs during summer when it’s like 70 degrees out,” senior Cole Young said. “If it’s any less than that though, I just wear pants.”

This trend also goes the other way around for some. Loads of people refuse to wear jeans, and their alternative is sweatpants. Still, sweats are only considered if they are a necessity.

“A lot of people enjoy wearing their shorts. I’ll see it even when it’s cold and snowing,” Young said. “Some people are walking to school wearing shorts in this weather and it surprises me.”

Summer outfits also provide more opportunities to incorporate a little flash of color into outfits. The muted tone of grey sweatpants and hoodies turns into a vibrant display of color. A certain beach-like style begins to develop, bringing students ever closer to the freedom that comes with summer.

“I think most people just do the same thing as me,” Bieber said. “Shortening everything up, adding some color, and just making it more beachy.”

Although shorter, lighter outfits are more comfortable, they do occasionally bring up problems with the PHS dress code. While some students have no problems with the dress code, others are quite opposed to it.

“I think dress codes are stupid,” Miller said. “Schools instill dress codes in order to not distract from learning, but I don’t think the human body should distract from learning.”

Not all students share this view though, in fact, many agree with the school’s dress policy. Rather than viewing it as a limitation to what they can wear, they see it as a guideline that prevents them from discomfort.

“I feel like people who are complaining about the dress code are already pushing it with what they’re wearing,” Young said. “So I feel like it’s well warranted where it’s at, even though lots of people don’t like it.”

I feel like people who are complaining about the dress code are already pushing it with what they’re wearing. So I feel like it’s well warranted where it’s at, even though lots of people don’t like it.”

— senior Cole Young

When it comes down to it, the dress code at PHS is not meant to upset students or limit their clothing options, but rather to keep students with different standards comfortable and safe. Outfits can still lighten up and become more comfortable for the warm and sunny days ahead. Just don’t get caught wearing a hat.

“Even though it’s mostly during baseball season, I gotta wear a baseball hat,” Beiber said. “The only problem I have with the dress code is hats.”