Wyomingites lend a helping hand

Speech and Debate teams, communities raise funds for young Wyo. girl fighting Crohn’s disease.

More stories from Marie Ramier

Courtesy photo

Lucy Wiley receives treatment for Crohn’s disease several times a week.

The Powell High School Speech and Debate team reached out and helped a young Wyoming girl in need. They raised the most money total among all the schools participating in the fundraiser.

Lucy Wiley, age 8, is fighting Crohn’s disease, and the Speech and Debate teams from many schools in Wyoming raised money. PHS allowed students to wear hats for $2 and teachers to wear jeans for $5 on March 1.

Students and staff were glad to donate money for a good cause.

“It’s good to help others and donate money to those who definitely need that,” sophomore Courtney Childers said. “As a hat lover, this gave me an opportunity to both wear my hat and also serve others, so double bonus.”

Crohn’s disease is a terminal disease which includes the inability to digest food.

“As food moves through the digestive system, that is where the problem is,” Principal Mr. James Kuhn said. “Lucy … goes to Denver for treatment 2-3 times a week,”.

As a hat lover, this gave me an opportunity to both wear my hat and also serve others, so double bonus.

— Sophomore Courtney Childers

Senior Treven Keeler also helped explain the disease.

“Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory disease that can easily go terminal,” Keeler said.

The high school raised $718 from the fundraiser which was over half of what all the schools raised.

“It is really impressive for us to raise almost $750 of $1,200 in 2-3 days,” Mr. Kuhn said.

Wiley’s parents were very excited to hear that the Speech and Debate teams raised that money for them.

“The parents cried and cried and cried,” PHS Speech and Debate Coach Mrs. Michelle Bills said. “It was so awesome.”

The Speech and Debate coaches from Kelly Walsh and Green River also shaved their beards in support of Wiley.