PHS Skills USA students bring home hardware

More stories from Marie Ramier

Courtesy of Olivia Lobingier

Powell High School Skills USA students who earned medals at the state competition include (from left) Olivia Lobingier, Jeremy Ackley-Burrs, Heather Lieser, Ashlyn Aguirre and Kailyn Church

Competition went well for the Powell High School SkillsUSA team at Casper on April 23-25.

There were many top places in different categories

“We had five students place in the top three of their competitions, so we did well,” freshman Maggie Cappiello said.

Many of the competitors enjoyed the competition.

“The competition went well and we did well in all events,” sophomore Katlyn Church said. “We go to meet a lot of new people and make new friends.”

Jeremy Ackley-Burrs and Heather Lieser both earned silver with Ackley-Burrs in culinary arts and Lieser in commercial baking.

Olivia Lobingier in photography, Ashlyn Aguirre in job interview and Church in early childhood education all earned bronze.

“I did well, but I could be more prepared and branch out and network more with others,” Church said.

Added Cappiello: “The competition was fun and I was in my element so that was good. I feel I can learn a lot from this.”

The competition was fun and I was in my element so that was good. I feel I can learn a lot from this.

— Freshman Maggie Cappiello

Tate Barhaug, Cappiello and Natalie Birdsley all competed and did well.

“I am really glad because I am not usually one to do competitions, but Mrs. Laursen really pushed me to do it so that was good,” Cappiello said.

SkillsUSA helped the competitors with a career they are thinking of pursuing.

“SkillsUSA is a career technical educational competition, so a lot of job skills mashed into one competition,” Church said. “You get to compete in what you might ado in the future.”