Karhu, Karst win state wrestling titles

Lauren Lejeune

More stories from Lauren Lejeune

Coach Nate Urbach lifts Brody Karhu after Karhu won the state wrestling title.

Lauren Lejeune

The Powell High School wrestling team traveled to Casper to compete in the 2018 3A State Wrestling Tournament on Feb. 23 and placed fourth as a team.

Wrestlers who placed included: Emma Karhu (106), Stephen Preator (126), Reese Karst (138), Brody Karhu (152), Bo Dearcorn (170) and Brandon Thompson (285).

Junior Reese Karst secured his second state title this year against Tristen Kingsley from Torrington (5-2 decision).

“It feels pretty good to have a second state title,” said Karst. “I was confident throughout the match but it definitely wasn’t easy.”

Sophomore Brody Karhu was able to take home his first state title this year with a win against Wyatt Corley from Newcastle (Fall 5:22).

“It’s really an amazing experience going to state and winning as a sophomore,” said Karhu. “It’s definitely an opportunity to glorify God, and that’s something I wanted to show people. But yeah, it was an awesome experience and I’m so thankful to my family and everyone who came to support me along for the coaches for helping me and pushing me to do better.”

Freshman Emma Karhu made history this year by becoming the first female wrestler to ever place in the 3A division in the state of Wyoming.

Freshman Emma Karhu made history this year by becoming the first female wrestler to place in the 3A division in the state of Wyoming.

“It feel pretty great! It feels like my hard work paid off,” said Karhu. “And it really changes some people’s perspectives on girl wrestlers, so it’s pretty awesome.”