The not-so-secret secrets of the Letter Club

More stories from Kara Borcher

The+letter+club+consists+of+six+seniors+who+have+lettered+in+a+varsity+sport.+This+years+club+are+featured+on+the+poster+in+the+commons%2C+promoting+seat+belt+usage.+

The letter club consists of six seniors who have lettered in a varsity sport. This years club are featured on the poster in the commons, promoting seat belt usage.

Powell High School is generally well known for athletes who excel in their respective sports. Those who do well and show promise receive a letter, therefore earning a spot in the Letter Club.

Many people who aren’t in sports don’t know exactly what it means to letter in a sport and then subsequently be a part of the senior-only Letter Club. The elected officers consist of a president for each gender, vice president for each gender and two secretaries.

“The goal of the letter club is to improve all of the Powell’s athletic programs and to increase participation in high school sports,” boys’ president Sawyer Mauthe said. “Also to improve sportsmanship both on our teams and within our community.”

Technically, all seniors who have lettered in a sport are members of the Letter Club, but six athletes are nominated to represent the class of 2019. These officers attend meetings and represent Powell High School sports programs.

So the long-asked question comes into play: What exactly does it mean to letter?

“It usually means if someone is on the varsity team in their sport,” club secretary Dylan McEvoy added.

Rachel Bonander, Shayla Shoopman, Carson Heinen, Hartly Thorington, Mauthe and McEvoy are this year’s officers.

“We were nominated and voted on by other 2019 seniors,” said Thorington, who is a vice president. “All seniors who lettered in a sport were asked to meet in the auditorium one day. They started nominating other students [to be officers]. Those who were nominated … were voted on.”

The goal of the letter club is to improve all of the Powell’s athletic programs and to increase participation in high school sports. Also to improve sportsmanship both on our teams and within our community.

— Sawyer Mauthe

Meetings happen at least once a month. The six officers get together and discuss issues and current events.

“Right now we are trying to plan basically a sportsmanship meeting with all the winter sports going on,” Thorington said. “We want to get a few students from each sport and bring them together to talk about sportsmanship … and also what things could we use the letter club money for to improve our activities, like rugs for outside the gym, new water fountains, things like that.”

Sportsmanship seems to be the major topic the Letter Club focuses on, especially with winter sports in full swing.

“It’s a really fun club to be a part of,” girls’ president Bonander said. “We are constantly working on improving sportsmanship.”

There are a few key sportsmanship issues that they focus on.

“One of the [big issues] we focus on is the fans and getting them more involved,” secretary Shoopman said.

Added vice president Heinen: “We focus a lot on getting everyone on the same page of what is expected for the school.”

You may have seen the giant poster hung in the commons, encouraging Powell High School Students to wear their seatbelts. The letter club officers are featured on the poster in their respective uniforms.

“It’s embarrassing,” Heinen said. “But it is for a good reason, so it’s kind of cool at the same time.”

Many people don’t know exactly what the letter club is, but the officers are excited to be part of it.

“The letter club is very informative about all the activities going on plus the good things and the things that can be improved,” Shoopman said. “It also gives us experience in leadership.”