ACT, WYTOPP testing dates set for March, April

More stories from Marina Goffaux

Standardized testing season is just about to start.

Juniors will register for the ACT on March 25-26 in their United States History classes, using paper and a pencil and taken on paper. Freshmen and sophomores take the WYTOPP test online in the gym April 13.

Both freshmen and sophomores take the math portion, on May 1 they will take the English portion of the test; the freshmen will do the writing portion May 2 and sophomores will take science May 2 as well. All of the Advanced Placement (AP) tests will be taken on paper.

“We had some trouble last year with technology, and our juniors, who are seniors this year, had to stay in the testing center for almost two extra hours, so we are going back to paper and pencil,” Testing Coordinator Mr. Scott Mckenzie said. “The good news is that there will be no more glitches, but the bad news is that if you are a junior, you have to make up the test in the middle of spring break. There is only one date the ACT gives for a makeup date.”

While the dates are not negotiable, a student’s strategy for answering questions might vary.

“Always have a predetermined letter you will choose if you don’t know the answer,” PHS counselor Mr. Trevor Lee said. “Feel free to cross out the responses you know are wrong. If you end up crossing out your pre-determined letter, and you still don’t know what the response should be, select the next letter down on the response section.

“For example, if your pre-determined letter is A, but you crossed out A and B because you know they are wrong, and you can’t decide if the response is C or D, select C since it is the letter closest to A.  By attacking a multiple choice test in this manner, you are giving yourself as close to a 1 in 4 chance of getting the right answer as you can.”

It’s also important to prepare for these tests. Working through practice material is one way to accomplish this.

“Make sure you get involved with study materials,” Mr. Lee said. “Don’t wait for the answers to come to you, go out and find them. Really learn what your teachers are teaching. Your teachers know what will be on the test and they can help you prepare for those tests.”

“Complete your homework and projects.  Teachers don’t assign those because they think they are fun to grade.  These are projects and assignments teachers feel will help you learn the material they are teaching.  Do not cram for the test the night before.  Study the material in your classes every night for just 15 minutes.”