LENDING A HELPING ‘GREEN’ HAND

PHS students seen walking around the halls with green hands.

Sami Cole

More stories from Sami Cole

Powell Shoshone FFA Chapter

Chapter members receive their Greenhand Degree during their ceremony Monday night.

There has been a group of people walking around with green plaques and a green hand once a year.

Some may even think to themselves, oh no! Did I miss Saint Patrick’s Day again?

Don’t fret, it is something quite different than Saint Patty’s Day; it’s actually Greenhand Day.

Greenhand Day is an event put on by the Future Farmers of America program. During FFA week, members of the program participate in different activities and events such as Greenhand Day. 

“It’s kinda just to show people around the school that you’re a greeny, and that you’re new to the FFA program,” sophomore Andy Beavers said. “They call newbies ‘green hands’, so that’s why we do the green hand.”

Greenhand Day is specifically for students new to the FFA program as a way to dip their toes in and prepare for a special degree in furthering their FFA career. It initiates new chapter members into the Future Farmers of America organization, and allows them to work to achieve their first degree.

“The first year in FFA you meet requirements in order to get the Greenhand Degree,” sophomore Amber Visocky said. “We do the Greenhand day because it is somewhat of an initiation into the chapter.”

This specialized day is preparing the new members for the Greenhand Degree. In relation to the Greenhand degree, chapter member of FFA participate in order to start preparing to get their degree as well as an activity that goes along with it.

“On the back of the FFA signs they wear, they have to find all the chapter officers that have questions for them to answer,” Visocky said. “If they answer that question correctly, they get the officer’s signature and then they would get a pizza party.”

Not only is this day preparing chapter members for important degrees in the FFA program, but it also gives them a challenge to complete.

“There was a lot [of new FFA members] that did,” Beavers said. “I know there was a few that didn’t get all the signatures from all the officers and some didn’t even show up to the ceremony. But the ones that did got a pizza party.”