IGNITING THE HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE

Ignition mentors lead freshmen through activites on the first day of school

Sami Cole

More stories from Sami Cole

Mary Dillivan

Mentors pause for a photo of their Greek costumes during Ignition. (From left) Joey Hernandez, Brody Karhu, Riley Bennett, Kadden Abraham, Latrell (2019 Ignition Trainer) Grant Dillivan, Nicolas Fulton, Aidan Jacobsen and Averee Johnson

The first day of high school. Some remember it for the good, others may have a more negative outlook. Powell High School’s Ignition program has impacted this experience for several years. And this year was no different.

For new students unfamiliar with the program, Ignite is a day dedicated to the incoming freshman class. They spend the entire day with their ignition mentors and do everything from interactive activities to tour the school to find their specific classes.

Some freshmen find ignition to be helpful and welcoming, making their first day full of fun activities.

“It gives us a good start into high school,”  freshman Sydney Spomer said. “It helped us to get to know more upperclassmen. It just introduced us to it [high school] better,”

It gives us a good start into high school

— Sydney Spomer

Freshmen also tend to make new relationships with upperclassmen, and other freshman students. It can be an opportunity to reach out and meet new people.

“I liked it because it made us feel like we were having fun and more interaction with our upperclassmen,” freshman CJ Barrus said.

While some freshmen find ignition to be a fun and welcoming experience, there are always two sides to every story.

“It was kind of dumb and pretty childish,” freshman Stetson Davis said.

Some freshman students who attend ignition tend to find it not educative and some even find it pointless and unrelatable to their high school career.

“I don’t feel like I learned much, but I had fun,” Barrus said.

While some freshmen found the event to be entertaining, but fun, some found the games to be pointless.

“A lot of things people said had to do with coming into high sschool had nothing to do with coming into high school, it was just kind of for fun,” Davis said, “I feel like picking somebody up and trying to fit them through a spiderweb isn’t really the most influential thing.”