A SCHOOL OF SEVEN

Jenna Hillman

More stories from Jenna Hillman

MOVIN’ ON UP
May 8, 2020
Clark Elementary School is home to seven students, but serves an important role in accomplishing the goals of Park County School District 1.

Courtesy: pcsd1.org

A school consisting of only seven students compared to most schools in Park County has its challenges.

But this is Clark Elementary, about 25 miles north of Powell. It seems to make sense why the school district supports a separate elementary school for the residents. The commute from Clark to Powell is a long one and can be treacherous in winter, so it’s easier on the parents of young children to enroll their children at Clark Elementary.

Mrs. Denise Feller, the only certified teacher on staff at Clark Elementary, explains that a day out at school in Clark is somewhat similar to the rest of the elementary schools in Park County School District 1.

“It really is just like a regular classroom except everyone is in different grades” said Mrs. Feller, who tries to keep K-2 students organized together and the grade 3-5 students grouped together for most academic activities. The small amount of students allows more time for one-on-one teaching.

The number of students enrolled in Clark Elementary has decreased over the last few years because many families have chosen to homeschool their children instead. Both Principal Mr. Jason Hillman and Mrs. Feller say that this could be caused by the lifestyle out at Clark, which is heavy on farming. Feller also feels that religion could play a part in the decline as well.

Mr. Hillman and Mrs. Feller have nothing but good things to say about what it is like for them to work out in Clark.

“Personally, I love working out here,” Mrs. Feller said. “I am thankful that I have my dream job and supportive staff and co-workers.”

Added Mr. Hillman, who also is principal at Parkside Elementary: “The kids are great and the families in Clark are nice, hard-working people.”