PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF

Senior Colt Nicholson wins 106-pound 3A state wrestling title

Lauren Lejeune

More stories from Lauren Lejeune

Lauren Lejeune

Senior Colt Nicholson goes for the pin in his championship match against Anthony Martinez of Worland as Coach Mr. Nate Urbach yells instructions.

“I’m going to find someone in this state for Colt to beat.” 

Those were the words of PHS wrestling coach Mr. Nick Fulton four years ago. The 2016-17 wrestling season was at its end and at the time, freshman Colt Nicholson had not won a single match all season. 

Fast forward four years and Nicholson is now the 106-pound 3A state champion. 

But it didn’t happen overnight. Hours upon hours of practice were the key. 

“The changes I have made from freshman year is going to as many open mats in the off-season and going to camps in the summer,” Nicholson said. 

I cannot say enough about him being an example of perseverance and work ethic paying off.

— Wrestling coach Mr. Nick Fulton

Coaches Fulton and Mr. Nate Urbach said they did their best to help Nicholson improve.

“Keep working hard – spending as much time as possible helping Colt improve his skills [open mat, camps, practice and tough tournaments],” Mr. Urbach said.  “Coach Fulton’s introduction of legs also vastly improved Colt’s skill set.”

Added Mr. Fulton: “As a freshman, obviously, Colt did not win a match. He was undersized and struggled with technique. Colt persisted though.” He attended open mats and never missed a single practice in four years. This became key to his success.”

This year, all of the training and work resulted in a state and regional title, being named All-State and the senior who didn’t win a single match freshman year  finished this season 41-8.

“As a sophomore Colt still struggled, but was showing signs of improvement,” Mr. Fulton said. “As a junior, Colt developed his top position and became dominant in that area. This improvement came with a state medal. To place as a junior he beat a kid that had tech falled him earlier in the year. The strides were evident.

“This year, Colt was a dominant force. He placed in every tournament he wrestled in and had many come-from-behind victories. Him winning a title is so deserving. I cannot say enough about him being an example of perseverance and work ethic paying off.”

“Colt came into this year on a mission to be a state champion.” Urbach said.  “[He] worked very hard day in and day out to make this happen. [I] Felt that he was wrestling like he would not be denied in his finals match.”

Although Nicholson hasn’t decided if he’s going to wrestle in college, he’s appreciative of the time he’s had at PHS. 

“I can’t thank my coaches enough for everything they have done to help me get to a state championship,” Nicholson said. 

And the coaches’ final comments about the 106-pound state champion?

“Colt: It has been a true pleasure to coach you. You are a great example of many of the values that I place in this sport. I am proud of you, and am thrilled with your victory.” – Coach Nick Fulton 

“It was an absolute pleasure to coach you – I will miss you.” – Coach Nate Urbach

Click here for complete state wrestling results.